Missing records

Information on various topics.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Missing records

Postby Cannockwolf » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi folks,

Anyone have any idea if there are records that are yet to be transcribed online for Staffs or Shropshire areas? I have a whole raft of births from mid to late 17th century that have no other infom listed about them also no records for family members listed between 1708 and 1727 or is that the records have just been lost or never registered in the first place?

Any advice ould be much appreciated.
Cannockwolf

Re: Missing records

Postby linell » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:16 pm

The answer to that Cannockwolf is yes, some Parish Registers have been lost or damaged, and some records were never kept in the first place, have you tried this site:-

http://www.freereg.org.uk/search/index.htm

Linell.
linell

Postby grangers14 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:56 pm

Also here
https://familysearch.org/

But is best to order the film in to check it out yourself at your local Latter Day Saints
grangers14

Postby Cannockwolf » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:28 am

Hi Grangers14,

Yes have used both of those sites and both have been very helpful. I haven't yet payed a visit to my local Register office so i'll try that and see if they have more info there but I can appreciate that much is lost or damaged given the age of these things. very frustrating that I can't complete my tree though.

many thanks.
Cannockwolf

Postby Antie Em » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:09 am

Hello Cannockwolf

You won't find the records you are looking for at the local Register Office. Registration didn't start until 1837 - any records before then will only be baptism records. You will find these at your local archives.

Good Luck - Maggie
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Return to Miscellaneous