1911 Find My Past

Information on various topics.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

1911 Find My Past

Postby Antie Em » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:50 pm

Sorry - Just having a mega moan !!!!! Trying to find 226 Dudley Port on the 1911 Find My Past address search

Found about 300 houses on the 1911census.co.uk - so youu would think I could find it on FMP - No

Did find it by going through the St Martins District on Ancestry - very labourious.

E Mailed FMP who said :

Your search has returned 9 results.
redefine current search
Street Parish Registration
District County
Dudley Port Cottages Tipton Dudley Staffordshire
Dudley Port Road Tipton Dudley Staffordshire
Dudley Port Terrace Tipton Dudley Staffordshire
Dudley Port Tipton Staf Tipton Dudley Staffordshire
Dudley Port Tipton Staff Tipton Dudley Staffordshire
Dudley Port Tipton Staff South Tipton Dudley Staffordshire
Dudley Port Tipton Staff: Tipton Dudley Staffordshire
Dudley Port Tipton Stafordshire Tipton Dudley Staffordshire
Dudley Road Tipton Dudley Staffordshire

I said yes - but there are more than 300 houses in Dudley Port - all of which show up on the 1911census.co.uk.

They said : Findmypast.co.uk has the same data as 1911census.co.uk, but the fields are organised differently. We’ve decided, in the interests of consistency, to keep the search fields the same as with our other censuses. This means that the search results, particularly on broader searches, may differ between the two sites.

The source of the 1911 census address has been taken from the information that was completed by the householder, as Dudley Port has been recorded with different variations we have to show them all.

Duuurrrghh - I have explained that Dudley Port is not Dudley Port Road, or Dudley Port Street and that all of the householders have just used Dudley Port as it is still the same now as it has been for over 100 years.

I have now asked them what criteria I should use to find 226 Dudley Port - await with baited breath.
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Re: 1911 Find My Past

Postby gardener » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Not very helpful is it?

Can't you just find it via the 1911census.co.uk site? It will charge to your findmypast account anyway won't it?

I can't see 226 on 1911census.co.uk in any case, just 224, 225, 227, 228, 228A etc. Could it have been one of the 228 residences?
(I put Dudley Port in as street, Tipton as residential place, and 226 Dudley Port should have fallen in page 17 but the numbers were as shown above).

Any of that help?
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby gardener » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:31 pm

Have to say that I sympathise with them a bit - some addresses are down as: Dudley Port Tipton Near Birmingham :shock:

And 220 Dudley Port is entered twice so perhaps one of those is 226?
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby Antie Em » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:54 pm

Sorry - should have said 236 Dudley Port , which is there in 1911census.co.uk and on Ancestry. I haven't just looked for this one - I've looked for other numbers as well, and looked under Tipton, Rowley Regis and Dudley. It won't let you add numbers, so the only criteria you can use really is Dudley Port.

If I go through the above site - I can get the one I'm looking for but although they share the sate database - I will be charged.

I think they have tried to regularise it by using Road or Street in the name, but Dudley Port has never had that - it is just Dudley Port - there are about houses on 1911census.co.uk but only nine on FMP. I've tried loads of different ways of searching

I've asked them to look on both and then tell me what criteria I need to use on FMP - should be interesting. I'll let you know.
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby grangers14 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:09 pm

Moved to Misc.
Jo :)
grangers14

Return to Miscellaneous