Is Staffordshire part of the Black Country?

Information on various topics.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Is Staffordshire part of the Black Country?

Postby pmtay » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:22 am

Just a quickie really - Is Staffordshire "Staffs" part of the Black Country. If you ask the question in the search engines it seems to indicate that it is. Then in another breath it seems to indicate that it's next door. my cousin who is a brummie always reffers to it as part of the Black Country. I guess I am trying to figure out if my own family tree is BCC material or not.

Thank you
pmtay

Re: Is Staffordshire part of the Black Country?

Postby MarkCDodd » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:31 am

Of course it is part of the Black Country!!!

Dudley, Sandwell and Walsall are the three boroughs always included in the Black Country. Wolverhampton is the area most people argue about.

Some say the South Staffordshire coal seam should be used as the boundary but I argue that the industries that relied on that coal were more widespread.

But we will help with your tree wether or not they are strictly Black Country!

I regard my self as Black Country even though I was born in Birmingham. Mum and Dad were living in Smethwick and Birmingham just happened to be the chosen maternity hospital.
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:51 am

Northern Lass

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:04 am

moved to miscellaneous section
Northern Lass

Postby gardener » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:20 pm

Some of Staffordshire is Black Country and some of it isn't :roll:

You will soon catch on to the geography and if you do post in the "wrong" bit then your post will be moved to the right bit so don't worry about it!
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby snoopysue » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:21 pm

gardener wrote:Some of Staffordshire is Black Country and some of it isn't :roll:

You will soon catch on to the geography and if you do post in the "wrong" bit then your post will be moved to the right bit so don't worry about it!

I'd never think of somewhere like Stoke on Trent as part of the Black Country. With some places that are close to the "boundaries", there is a lot of discussion as to whether they are part of BC or not. And to add to the confussion some places that used to be in Staffordshire aren't any more!! There are also places that are really in one county, but for census purposes they're in another!
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby pmtay » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:18 pm

Hello

Thank you - well thats interesting it seems from the map that my family (Tiptons) fall a tad outside they originated from Bloxwich, Pesall and walsall which looks as if its just at the top and outside of the borders.

Thank you

Northern Lass wrote:This map may help
http://www.sedgleymanor.com/historical/ ... untry.html
pmtay

Postby peterd » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:33 pm

pmtay wrote:Hello

Thank you - well thats interesting it seems from the map that my family (Tiptons) fall a tad outside they originated from Bloxwich, Pesall and walsall which looks as if its just at the top and outside of the borders.

Thank you

Northern Lass wrote:This map may help
http://www.sedgleymanor.com/historical/ ... untry.html

walsall in the black country as most of its located left of the W in the shaded area so is most of bloxwich
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby linell » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:17 am

There are no definitive boundaries to the Black Country, the epicentre is Dudley, after that, it is down to folk law, where it starts and finishes, Wolverhampton is definitely Black Country, Walsall is not always deemed Black Country, but there again there is no boundary saying it isn't. HTH Linell.
linell

Postby pmtay » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:49 am

Hi

Well I think I will go for that it is part of the black country as it seems that it could go either way :grin:

Thankyou all.

linell wrote:There are no definitive boundaries to the Black Country, the epicentre is Dudley, after that, it is down to folk law, where it starts and finishes, Wolverhampton is definitely Black Country, Walsall is not always deemed Black Country, but there again there is no boundary saying it isn't. HTH Linell.
pmtay

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:56 am

I do think it depends which area of Staffs.
Wolverhampton was in Staffs and would be BC
Wombourne and Trysell near Wolverhampton wouldn't be ....and they are in Staffs.

have a look as a guide only here
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=441

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~engtwfhs/history.htm
Northern Lass

Return to Miscellaneous