Antique Rogue Show! ---or our Rogues Gallery

Our very own Antique Rogue show!

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Re: Rogues Gallery

Postby watters2831 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:58 pm

NAME>>>>>>>> Patrick Mcloughlin born 1855 Salford , Manchester
occupation = dyer

CRIME>>>>>>>>>>> Possibly - General Quarter Session of the peace, held, Lancaster and by adournment at Preston, Manchester and Liverpool
18th October 1880,
Patrick Mc Loughlin, Unlawfully wounding, 1 year and for the further term of 3 months unless £1.10. 0 is paid to prosecutor as a modicale(?) allowance for his costs and loss of time. Recognizances in £20 and 2 sureties in £10 each to keep peace 1 year.

PUNISHMENT>>>> a stint at Cheetham Hill prison (from 1881 census)
watters2831

Re: Antique Rogue Show! ---or our Rogues Gallery

Postby Antie Em » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:13 pm

NAME>>>>>>>> John Duffield

My other half's 4 x Great Grandfather - John Duffield - I have typed up the full transcript of the trial - really interesting, mentions pubs and meeting places in Birmingham and Darlaston. Mentioned in the Bugle a couple of years ago - but I can't find the link

Wolverhampton Chronicle
Wednesday, August 4 1819
Staffordshire Summer Assizes

Josiah Wilkes, Thomas Earp alias Reddall and John Duffield for having at Darlaston feloniously and traitorously made and counterfeited a certain piece of coin to the likeness of a shilling.

Wolverhampton Chronicle
Wednesday, August 25 1819

On Saturday morning, at about half past eight o’clock, John Duffield underwent the awful sentence of the law at the front of the county goal at Stafford, for counterfeiting, at Darlaston, the coin of this realm called a shilling, of which he was convicted (with Josiah Wilkes and Thos. Earp) at our late assizes.
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby dudleytaylor » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:51 pm

I have a list of Rogues in my family.
Some you have already read about on this Rogues Gallery.

Name>>>>>>>MARY BAGLEY 1770-1849 (Bowater), she was married to my 4th great uncle George Bowater , she left behind two young sons ,Roger Bagley and Samuel Bowater, in her will she left them £200.

Name>>>>>Then there was MERCY ONIONS 1844-1908,left her employment without permission , she was the sister in law to me great uncle Jacob Hughes of Oldbury.

Name>>>>>Then there was poor JAMES BOWATER 1830-1883 1st cousin 6 x removed spent most of his life going in and out of Winson Green Prison for stealing anything from coffin handles to brass weights, in the end he died in the Workhouse after he was found sitting in a chair senseless,he later died of a temporal haemorrhage, the coroner remarked"It was not unusual thing in Birmingham for a working man to suffer from want of sufficient food"

Name>>>>> Last, until i find some more THOMAS JACKSON 1816-1858 from Portsmouth cousin 4x removed charged with larceny for stealing sausages given 7 years in Australia.

Dt :wink:
It's easy to stand with the crowd . It takes courage to stand alone
dudleytaylor

Location: Living in Worcestershire,Paternal Family from Dudley,Maternal family from Oldbury

Postby NethertonWench » Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:56 pm

NAME>>>>>>>>Sarah Ann Tottney

CRIME>>>>>>>> Flowery Language

Sarah Ann Tottney was charged with using threatening language towards Eliza Pearson -
The parties are neighbours living in New Town, Cradley Heath. They have quarrelled a good deal of late, and on the 17th they had a regular row, disturbing the whole of the neighbourhood. Some beastly language was as a matter of course indulged in, and defendant was heard to say in her rage, “I’m blowed if I do’ split her blooming yed open with a brush.”
Compared with the other threats this was couched in flowery language.

PUNISHMENT>>>>>>>>> £10 to keep the peace for 6 months.

Dudley & District News Sat 29 Nov 1884

Any family of Eliza Pearson or Sarah Ann Tottney heard this story?
:lol:
NethertonWench

Previous

Return to Rogues Gallery