Journeyman

General discussion relating to ancestors trades and occupations.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Journeyman

Postby gardener » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:02 pm

I just half-watched an interview with a German carpenter who was in Iceland for a while. Some young men in Germany/Austria still go through a process of travelling and working, which I guess is similar to what a Journeyman did at some point.
This one has to wear an old fashioned uniform all the time, hat and all. He is not allowed within 60km of his home town for three years and is not allowed to use the Internet either. It must be a strange life but I expect they get a lot out of it.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Re: Journeyman

Postby snoopysue » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:09 am

gardener wrote:I just half-watched an interview with a German carpenter who was in Iceland for a while. Some young men in Germany/Austria still go through a process of travelling and working, which I guess is similar to what a Journeyman did at some point.
This one has to wear an old fashioned uniform all the time, hat and all. He is not allowed within 60km of his home town for three years and is not allowed to use the Internet either. It must be a strange life but I expect they get a lot out of it.

They have then in Denmark too, some still do it for the travel and the experience I suppose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journeyman_years

In danish they're called "Naver" and have their own organisation.
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Return to Trades & Occupations