Deciphering occupation

General discussion relating to ancestors trades and occupations.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Deciphering occupation

Postby chrishewett » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:05 am

I am confused by the occupation for Charles Hewett ( my second great grandfather) on the marriage certificate ( dated february 12th 1865) of his son Charles William Hewett.
In all other documents, before and after, he is described as a shoemaker or bootmaker. His father, Charles Hewett was a cordwainer.
Any help gratefully accepted.
Chris
Attachments
img016.jpg
img016.jpg (147.75 KiB) Viewed 5026 times
chrishewett

Re: Deciphering occupation

Postby Rob » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:51 am

Did he have church connections Charles because i keep seeing the word Verger. That 3rd letter looks like an i but it could be just a dot on the page.
Rob

Postby chrishewett » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:17 am

You may have hit the nail on the head. I couldn't attach the whole certificate because it was too large but the writer, rev D S Spedding has made similar marks on the page, as over the second e in Hewett. There is a Sarah who was a witness and the r in her name is identical to the third letter in the word in question. It is looking like it could be verger.
I am still confused as to why. In all the previous and later census returns he is a shoe or boot maker. Also on the marriage certificate of Charles Williams younger brother, my great grandfather, Thomas James dated 1874, nine years later than this one. He may have been involved with the church as for over 10 years he and his wife lived at the one tun ragged school in Old Pye street ( in the "devils acre" ) where she was school keeper.
What actually is a verger? Could it be a lay person?
chrishewett

Postby Rob » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:58 am

Isn't a Verger a caretaker who besides looking after the church itself also helps with the church services. A sort of jack of all trades !! Did you ever see Dad's Army? Well the Vicar's right hand man was the Verger.
Rob

Postby SRD » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:02 am

wiki wrote:A verger (or virger, so called after the staff of the office) is a person, usually a layperson, who assists in the ordering of religious services, particularly in Anglican churches.

If he was the Verger the church may have a record of it. It might be worth contacting them.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby chrishewett » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:56 am

Thanks for all the help.
I am visiting the area on Saturday so will pop in to st Matthews and see what I can find out.
chrishewett

Return to Trades & Occupations