The History of Bayliss, Jones & Bayliss

General discussion relating to ancestors trades and occupations.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

The History of Bayliss, Jones & Bayliss

Postby mallosa » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:56 pm

Later a subsidiary of G.K.N.
Established in Wolverhampton for over 125 years

A fabulous link with loadsa photo's - scroll down to see how informative it is.

http://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk/ ... CN/BJB.htm
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Re: The History of Bayliss, Jones & Bayliss

Postby mdr49 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:57 am

Hi,
I am doing some research on the area around Rough Hills Wolverhampton. On the site of the existing Rough Hills Estate, the 1887 OS map shows an area called Victoria Grounds. Is this area associated with Victoria Works, part of the Bayliss, Jones and Bayliss factory in Cable Street? Does anyone know anything about Victoria Grounds?

Also, does anyone know when the Bayliss, Jones and Bayliss sports ground which used to be in a prominent position at the corner of Major Street and Steelhouse Lane was opened?

Grateful for any response to this enquiry.

Derek Mills
mdr49

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:03 am

Hi have you approaced Wolverhampton archives?
They are very helpful in there
Northern Lass

Postby mdr49 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:42 am

I have visited Wolverhampton Archives on several occasions and they were unable to shed any light on Victoria Grounds.

I have since found from newspaper cuttings that it was a venue for pedestrianism racing in 1881 and as late as 1908. There are also reports that show it was the venue for cycling races in 1884. I now believe it was associated with the adjoining Rough Hills Tavern as pubs were often closely involved in the promotion of such sporting events in the 1880s onwards.

Always grateful for any further information about Rough Hills Tavern and/or Victoria grounds in the 1880s onwards.
mdr49

Return to Trades & Occupations