Joseph Nathan Taylor wartime work

General discussion relating to ancestors trades and occupations.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Joseph Nathan Taylor wartime work

Postby Frodo » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:40 pm

I am working on the family history with my cousin in America and she has sent me information collated by her father Gordon Taylor(Joseph's nephew) and I understand that Joseph worked in munitions during World War 1. His place of work was Chance Brothers Engineering Company. Looking on the internet as far as I can tell they specialized in optical glasses and supplied the field glasses. Does anyone know whether they also did munitions?
Gordon also says he was a Bach engine fitter for 21 years, does anyone know what this is and whether it could be connected to the war work.
The time span quoted must be incorrect as he was working in his shop in the 1911 census, he married in 1917 and his occupation was engine fitter then but he moved to Blackpool at the beginning of 1928 and became a painter and decorator.
Frodo

Re: Joseph Nathan Taylor wartime work

Postby BC Wench » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:11 pm

I don't know if Chance Brothers had a munitions factory as well as producing glass, but you could put this into the address bar on the internet

Historic England - First World War National Factories:
An archaeological, architectural and historical review by David Kenyon

and it downloads automatically. I do know that there was a National Projectile Factory in Dudley in WW1.

Regarding "Bach engine fitter" you will see the marriage on BCC that "Bach" means Bachelor.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby Frodo » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:33 pm

Thank you. Perhaps Gordon used the marriage certificate as a reference when he was writing that part of the family history. In fact thinking about it if he was using the marriage certificate as a reference Joseph was 21 in October 1917 when he married Ellen.
I have looked at the Historic England document and cannot find Chance Brothers listed but as far as I know from other sites they helped with field glasses. The only mention I can find of engines at any Birmingham region site is aero engine work at the Projectile Factory in Dudley.
I wonder if he worked at both at some point. He would have been living in Malt Mill Lane and then later Beaumont Road during the war. I do not know the area except for looking at a map but presumably would have been able to get to either Chance Brothers in Smethwick or Dudley to work.
Frodo

Postby Frodo » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:35 pm

Looking at your suggestions I found a trust devoted to preserving the Chance Brothers Engineering Company and sent an email. I had a reply from Henry Chance, a director and one of the family. He says engineering prominent in the lighthouse division and part of the lighthouse division was given over to the production of shells for the 18 pounder guns. Also Chance and Hunt, an offshoot of Chance Brothers was the biggest chemical works in the Midlands and mage huge quantities of explosives.
It makes sense re working in munitions but still not sure what the engine fitter role entailed unless it was a cover for the work he did.
As an aside it is the centenary of the unveiling of the Chance Brothers War Memorial in September and they are planning a ceremony.
Frodo

Return to Trades & Occupations