ARC TBC - Stuck already.

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, BC Wench

ARC TBC - Stuck already.

Postby Townsend » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:01 pm

Hello everyone, this is my first post here and I apologise if it is in the wrong section.

I only started research this year, and I have found my mothers side of the family straight forward so far because she is helping with all the memories.

My late fathers side (Townsend) is proving impossible for me from the outset. I only have my grandfathers second marriage and nothing else. I have nothing concrete on my grandmother.
If someone can point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.

I am using ancestry.co.uk only for my searches as I am not clued up with other avenues of search.
I have bought two birth certificates so far, but £22.00 each seems very expensive and I won’t be able to keep that up for long. I have heard of others paying £9.00 but I don’t know where from.

If there is someone interested in helping, I will post all of the information I have about the Townsend family, I didn’t feel it was appropriate to include all the info in my first post.

Thanks
Adam
Townsend

Re: Stuck already.

Postby Antie Em » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:59 pm

Hello Adam, Welcome to the Forum

I'm sure the people on this site will be able to help you. You don't need to pay £22.00 for a certificate, you pay this much when you use an agency, such as Ancestry. You can get a certificate a lot cheaper, the cost will depend on where you are in the world, but usually around £9.00, either from the local office, where the birth was registered, or from the GRO direct at http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/.

Although you can get lots of information from Ancestry - you will need to purchase at least a couple of certificates to prove the line - otherwise you could go off on the wrong track and spend a lot of time and money on the wrong family.

Try posting the information from one of your certificates here and see how it goes from there.

Good luck
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby sparkstopper » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:02 pm

Hi 'Townsend'. I only started myself last year and have found this
site extremely helpful......start by posting your grandfathers full name
and date of birth and where born , plus mothers maiden name etc....
and we can start from there.
Semper Paratus:
sparkstopper

Postby Jimmy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:45 pm

Hi Townsend,
Post what you have and we can have a go at finding it.
Jimmy

Postby Townsend » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:33 pm

Thanks for the replies, so here goes..
I have my dad’s birth certificate now, which ironically he never saw in his whole life.

My dad was born Edward Townsend, 15th April 1921 at 126 Queens road Upper Norwood. That’s near Croydon Surrey. (Property got knocked down as far as I can see).
Son of Ernest Edward Townsend , Tool Maker (journeyman) and
Helena Maud Townsend Formerly Green. (Spellings as per certificate)

We always new of Ernest Edward Townsend as Charles Townsend and my dad told me he changed his name. (There is a short amusing story behind that.)
I always thought his name was Ernest Charles but clearly it wasn’t.

They had two other children
Ernest G C Townsend (Never Married no Children)
Renee Joan Townsend married (Keneth C Norgate) I have fond memories of these.

Helena Maud walked out when my Dad was about 7 years old and was never seen again as far as I know. The Three children lived with their granny for a while but went to Dr barnardos and then fostered out because granny was to old to cope. Sorry no name for granny and I don’t know if it was Helena Maud’s mother or Ernest Edwards mother. (Prob His Mother)

I was told that Helena Maud was French or part French. I am not sure who told me this or how accurate it is.

Some time between 1921 and 1941 Ernest Edward Townsend changed his name to
Charles E E Townsend as his second marriage to Ivy M Mudd 1941 Gipping Suffolk shows this.
They had two children.
Brian C Townsend 1947 Suffolk
I don’t know any details of the Daughter.

Charles EE Townsend as he was later known Died in the mid 1960’s when living at 8 Redriff Close Maidenhead Berkshire. His son Brian C was on the phone records upto 1984.

My mum went to Charles EE funeral but sat in the car with one child. So I was not born yet which makes the year after sept 1964 (My sister in the car) and April 1966 My Birth.

My mum Stella Yvonne Guy Married my dad in 1959 and the occupation of Charles EE was recorded as Master Photographer. When Charles EE married Ivy M Mudd he was a bus driver because she was his clippie.

Sorry a bit long.
Townsend

Postby clovis » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:47 pm

I've not tried it but as your dad was definitely a Barnado's child, you may wish to use

http://www.barnardos.org.uk/who_we_are/ ... ervice.htm

I think they hold pretty good records of all the kids who passed through their doors and therefore may give you some more information on the green side of the family or at least clarify who was looking after them before he went into care.
clovis

Postby Antie Em » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:52 pm

clovis wrote:I've not tried it but as your dad was definitely a Barnado's child, you may wish to use

http://www.barnardos.org.uk/who_we_are/ ... ervice.htm

I think they hold pretty good records of all the kids who passed through their doors and therefore may give you some more information on the green side of the family or at least clarify who was looking after them before he went into care.

I did some work for someone last year and had to contact Barnardoes for information on his great grandfather. The information they sent was amazing, photographs, family information, training given, punishments handed out and even where he went for two years after he left. I had to wait for six months, that was the waiting list then - but very well worth the wait. We had a little potted family history all in one envelope.
Antie Em

Postby linell » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:54 pm

This is probably Helena's Birth from Free BMD

Births Sep 1895 (>99%)
Green Helena Maude Camberwell 1d 882

You can order it on line from http://www.gro.gov.uk

I searched for the birth of Ernest Edward, there are a few in that time frame of them :?:

HTH from Linell.
linell

Postby Jimmy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:07 pm

Marriages Mar 1916. This is Geen on Image.

Townsend Ernest E. Groom. Wandsworth. 1d. 1263.
Green Maude. Townsend. Wandsworth. 1d. 1253.
Jimmy

Postby Jimmy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:20 pm

1901. Harting, Sussex.
Arthur Green 39. Coachman ?????. Hackney, London.
Alice Maud Green 40. Bermondsey, London.
Arthur John Martin Green 7. Camberwell, London.
Helena Manda Green 5. Maude on image. Camberwell, London.
Jimmy

Postby Townsend » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:56 pm

This is great info folks.

Never thought about the Dr Barnardos records, thanks Clovis.

Linell and Jimmy..... I also found the Camberwell Helena also the manda mistake but as I had nothing else to link with Ernest I didn't know what to do next.
But this other info from Jimmy about The marriage 1916 wandsworth is very exciting, I've just found it. I don't see anything with Geen on it but the print does look like groom. The listing says Grosm.
So now maybe I can try to link the camberwell Helena with Ernest. :P

I just need some glue to stick my hair back on.
Townsend

Postby peterd » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:21 pm

Jimmy wrote:1901. Harting, Sussex.
Arthur Green 39. Coachman ?????. Hackney, London.
Alice Maud Green 40. Bermondsey, London.
Arthur John Martin Green 7. Camberwell, London.
Helena Manda Green 5. Maude on image. Camberwell, London.

anyone find the 1911 of this ?
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby peterd » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:24 pm

you have this marriage cert ?

Charles E E Townsend as his second marriage to Ivy M Mudd 1941 Gipping Suffolk shows this.

what are the details ie charles father, occupation for both witnesses, age,
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

peterd

Postby peterd » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:26 pm

brian c was born ipswich

Births Jun 1947
Townsend Brian C Mudd Ipswich 4b 1514

peterd

Postby Antie Em » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:28 pm

70 Artizan Dwellings, Fulham

GREEN, Arthur Head Married
18 years M 49 1862 Carman Notting Hill London VIEW
GREEN, Alice Maud Wife Married
18 years F 50 1861 Borough S E VIEW
GREEN, Arthur John Martin Son Single M 17 1894 Assistant In Corset Warehouse Camberwell S E VIEW
GREEN, Helena Maude Daughter Single F 15 1896 Assistant In Underclothing Warehouse Camberwell S E VIEW
GREEN, Winifred May Beatrice Daughter Single F 8 1903 Harting Sussex VIEW

Maggie
Antie Em

Next

Return to Archived Brick Wall Posts