ARC - Stockett Family in the 13th-17th Centuries

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, BC Wench

ARC - Stockett Family in the 13th-17th Centuries

Postby Stockett » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:01 pm

Hello, I am living in Michigan, USA, and I am researching my father's family in England -- Stockett (or Stoket). I have traced back with pretty good sources to Lewis (Lewys or Lovodico/Lovodicus) Stockett. Lewis was born ca. 1530 in Hackington, Kent, England. He died in London in February, 1578, and was buried at St. Dunstan in the West.

His widow, Lucy, was granted probate of his will 16 Feb 1578 by Queen Elizabeth I(King's Master Masons, W. J. Williams). He was a Master Mason and later the Surveyor of the Works for Queen Elizabeth I. He was granted a coat of arms by William Hervey, Clarenceux King of Arms around Mar 1564 ("The Arms and Ancestry of the Stocketts of Maryland," James Traube, The Coat of Arms. N. S. Volume XV, Nos. 207 and 208, Autumn/Winter 2004).

I was able to purchased a digitized copy of his will from the National Archives of the UK, but have been unable to decipher it. Lewis was a member of the Middle Temple.

A memorial plaque for Lewis' wife, Lucy, hangs in St. Stephen's church. She is buried in the chancel there. I have a transcription of Lucy's will, but not the original.

Here's the brick wall: I cannot go back beyond Lewis, nor can I find his siblings. I did find a Thomas Stockett mentioned who was a surveyor in 1568. I found this on British History Online.

I have found other, earlier Stockett's (Stoket), such as Katherine who was lady-in-waiting to Lady Cobham in Oxted. Katherine has a brass memorial plaque in St. Peter and St. Paul Church in Lingfield. It is believed that she died ca., 1420. I have a few other early Stockett's, but cannot link them together reliably, nor them with Lewis.

I have found a lot of material on Lewis, but seem to have hit a brick wall. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
Stockett

Re: Stockett Family in the 13th-17th Centuries

Postby Fatman » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:59 pm

Could you perhaps post a digtal copy of the will or merhaps just part of it if its copyrighted, to see if we can decipher?
Fatman

Re: Stockett Family in the 13th-17th Centuries

Postby BC Wench » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:50 pm

Is this still a Brickwall, or have you solved it?

Unless otherwise advised this will be moved to the Brickwalls Archived section
within 24 hours
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Re: ARC TBC - Stockett Family in the 13th-17th Centuries

Postby Stockett » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:39 pm

It is still a brickwall, but it may remain that way. I have uncovered quite a few Stocket family members prior to Lewys, but I still have not found a link.
Stockett

Return to Archived Brick Wall Posts