ARC TBC - Brick wall - Stratton (later Usher) 1876

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, BC Wench

Re: Brick wall - Stratton (later Usher) 1876

Postby cid » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:30 pm

1911 still at 15 Dial Terrace

STRATTON, William Father Widower M 62 1849 Blanket Mills Labourer Sutton Bedfordshire
STRATTON, Lily Daughter Single F 21 1890 Making Paper Bags Hunslet Yorks
STRATTON, Fanny Daughter Single F 19 1892 At Home Hunslet Yorks

Also says married 22 years 2 children born
cid

Postby gardener » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:23 pm

Angel!

Ok.

John Stratton head 43 ag lab
Fanny ditto 41 straw plaiter
Mary Ann ditto 17
William ditto 12 ag lab born Sutton
John ditto 10
Eliza ditto 8
Edmund ditto 6
Fanny ditto 4
James ditto 2
Frederick ditto 8m

Fanny Stratton wid 51
William ditto son 22 ag lab born Sutton
John ditto 20
Eliza ditto 18
Edmund ditto 16
Fanny S ditto 14
James ditto 12
Frederick ditto 10

1881 Sutton
Fanny Stratton w 59
Frederick ditto son 21

1881 Paddington
In same household
Eliza Ellis serv 26 Hunts Bluntisham
Fanny S Stratton serv 24 Beds Sutton

That does seem to all tie together.
I think that Fanny S Stratton is sister to the William Stratton who shows up in Leeds and marries Elizabeth Ellis in 1889.
Eliza Ellis is Elizabeths sister I think.

In 1871
Elizabeth Ellis b abt 1853 Bluntisham is a servant in Willingham, Cambridgeshire
Eliza Ellis b abt 1855 Bluntisham is a servant in Bluntisham

In 1861
Elizabeth Ellis b abt 1852
Eliza Ellis b abt 1854
living with their parents in Bluntisham

I can't find Elizabeth Ellis in 1881 which is a bit annoying. Anyhow, I think William who is in Leeds in 1881 onwards is the son of Fanny and John Stratton. Question is, is he also the one who was married to Frances?

Genes reunited have William Stratton entered in a lot of trees, also Fanny Stratton born Hunslet 1891 and Lilian born Hunslet 1875. They are entered by two different people and they could be only remotely connected - and I think that Lilian one is off the 1891 census and may be a mistake, as I said, and she was born later. Actually both those people have William Stratton in their tree too. Could be worth trying to contact them in case they have the marriage certificate and could see who William's father is?
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby Guinney1971 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:40 am

oooh, the plot thickens then. I think that Lillian could be 16m, not 16yrs on that other census, makes sense.

Might have to splash out on the 1911 census and see if William is still alive then.

Mind you, it still doesnt explain why Frances Stratton (later Usher) called herself a widow on her marriage cert..... I wonder if she did commit bigamy and lied to the Usher family (and the vicar) about her status?

Now, my future step daughter lives near Leeds, might have to go on a recce one day :)
Claire

Escaped the rodent race in Hertfordshire in 2006, now chilling out in the laid back East Midlands :-)
Guinney1971

Postby gardener » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:39 pm

Guinney1971 wrote:Might have to splash out on the 1911 census and see if William is still alive then.

Cid posted the 1911 details above here, William and the two girls living together.

I just wonder if William went away soon after the first marriage? If he did, and Frances became pregnant by David Usher then the two boys may have been registered as Usher. There was nothing to stop that happening. On the other hand, if Jesse was baptised locally then he would most likely be baptised as Stratton since they would know that was his mother's name.

My grandfather's birth register gives his parents both with the surname Rose but in fact they never married. You could say what you liked on a birth certificate! Actually, they even got away with baptising an earlier baby by the same surname but that was in a large parish so I guess they were not well know. The point is, all these old records have to be taken with a pinch of salt. Marital status in particular.

Personally I would apply for the birth certificate of Albert Usher, stating that you only want it if the father is David Usher or the mother Frances Usher/Stratton.

There is no Albert Usher that age in the right area in the 1881 census, and no death in FreeBMD as far as I can so. I think it is possible that he is the son of David Usher and Frances Stratton, recorded in the 1881 census as Stratton. And perhaps the un-named Usher boy is actually Jesse. But I could be wrong and often am :roll:
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby Guinney1971 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:57 pm

lol gardener, I got blown away by so much info turning up and forgot that the 1911 census had been put up there.

Well there's definately plenty here for me to be getting on with - anyway, laptop battery about to die, so will sign off for now.

Thanks again everyone!!! :D
Claire

Escaped the rodent race in Hertfordshire in 2006, now chilling out in the laid back East Midlands :-)
Guinney1971

Postby Guinney1971 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:44 pm

apologies for not posting on here for nealy 6mths :oops: been very busy with homelife (including my daughter now being a very inquisitive toddler) and our business that I run from home.

I decided to order the birth certificate for the 'un-named' male Stratton born in 1874.

Here's what it said :shock: :

Registration district Biggleswade, 1874 birth in the sub district of Potton in the county of Bedford.

Eigth July 1874, Sutton. Boy, father un-named, name and maiden surname of mother Eliza Stratton, Straw Plaiter.

So, Eliza, who was Williams sister, had an illegitimate child - *could* this child have been adopted by William and Fanny? Even so, Jesse in most records is down as being born in 1876 (died in 1946 aged 70 for instance).

I think I need to revisit some census records and see if Eliza's son above is mentioned, and if so, who is he down as the son of..........

I'm really interested in finding out more about Williams second family in Yorkshire too, its another branch I can add to my ever increasing family tree 8)
Claire

Guinney1971

Postby BC Wench » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:28 pm

Is this still a Brickwall, or have you solved it?

Unless otherwise advised this will be moved to the Brickwalls Archived section
within 24 hours
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Previous

Return to Archived Brick Wall Posts