ARC TBC - an unusual one this,

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, BC Wench

ARC TBC - an unusual one this,

Postby lordyfan » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:56 pm

Hi there,

I don't know if this is the right place to post this. I ain't at a brick wall as yet, but its in the distance.

My partners grandmother was russian. She was rescued in the persecution of jewish folk in archangelsk 1919-20.

The family story is that ARTHUR DUDLEY was aboard an irish warship [which we are researching which one], They rescued some jews who swam towards their ship.

Are there any records of the folks who were rescued?

Any help would be grateful
lordyfan

Re: an unusual one this,

Postby grangers14 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:29 pm

Posting this back up to see if anyone has any ideas?
Jo :)
grangers14

Postby SRD » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:13 pm

I don't know how easy they would be to find but there may be newspaper reports and the captain of the ship would have had to make entries in the ships log.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby MarkCDodd » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:11 am

Looking at the Irish Newspapers.....

All I could find was a ship called the Archangelsk that was run by a Canadian company and went to and from Ireland in the 1960's.

I will see if I can find Mr Dudley listed as crew member. I assume that in 1919-20 the ships were still part of the Royal Navy.

I am slightly distracted by some of the bizzare stories I alwys come across when looking at old newspapers.

On one page they have the following stories in 1917....

Two boys were caught sawing through a box with their baby sister inside. They had gone to a magic show where a lady was sawed in half and thought they would replicate the trick! Luckily they were caught before the baby was harmed.

They found a Captain of ship that had sunk in 1901 still alive on an Island he had managed to swim to.

A Professor Robert H. Goddard had funding to fire a rocket to the moon and had 20 volunteers undergoing medical tests to see who would be the passenger!!!!
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby MarkCDodd » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:53 am

A few articles about the Red Army vs Bolshevist battles there in Oct/Nov 1919. Looks like the Bolshevist's won.

Are they the ones who persecuted the Jews or was it a typical pogrom initiated by the locals without any political bias?

Mind you, other articles say it was an area controlled by the anto-Bolshevist White Army till 1920?

Most articles refer to the area as Malo-Archangelsk.

According to a list of Russian pogroms, only 252 out of a population of 347,000 in Arkhangelsk were Jewish in 1905/06 when the first progrom occured.

I have tried all sort of searches for any mention of the rescue but zilch so far....
MarkCDodd

Postby MarkCDodd » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:05 am

How complicated was the politics post WW1!!!!!!

From this site....

http://www.jewishmag.com/26mag/russian/russian.htm

"After the Entente victory over Turkey, Jews became the dominant nation in Arabia (sic), although they comprise just 8% of the population. They had begun a struggle against the Arab liberation movement, trying to maintain the English occupation. The British had used the Jewish legionnaires to suppress an uprising in Egypt; as a result, the legionnaires received gratitude from the Zionist Central Committee. For their army (the Entente forces, clarified IZVESTIA), the legionnaires had recruited Russian Jews, and dispatched them overseas by various means. Once abroad, the Jewish legionnaires had served with the armed forces of England, fought against Soviet Russia on the Arkhangelsk front, and in Odessa. Young Jews had been convinced by Zionists that the Bolsheviks had conducted the pogroms. Such rumors had been widely disseminated by Zionists, who even organized a demonstration in Helsingforce against “Jewish pogroms in Soviet Russia”."

Good luck with your search. I think it will take quite a bit of hard research to find anything.
MarkCDodd

Postby linell » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:22 am

MarkCDodd wrote:How complicated was the politics post WW1!!!!!!

From this site....

http://www.jewishmag.com/26mag/russian/russian.htm

"After the Entente victory over Turkey, Jews became the dominant nation in Arabia (sic), although they comprise just 8% of the population. They had begun a struggle against the Arab liberation movement, trying to maintain the English occupation. The British had used the Jewish legionnaires to suppress an uprising in Egypt; as a result, the legionnaires received gratitude from the Zionist Central Committee. For their army (the Entente forces, clarified IZVESTIA), the legionnaires had recruited Russian Jews, and dispatched them overseas by various means. Once abroad, the Jewish legionnaires had served with the armed forces of England, fought against Soviet Russia on the Arkhangelsk front, and in Odessa. Young Jews had been convinced by Zionists that the Bolsheviks had conducted the pogroms. Such rumors had been widely disseminated by Zionists, who even organized a demonstration in Helsingforce against “Jewish pogroms in Soviet Russia”."

Good luck with your search. I think it will take quite a bit of hard research to find anything.

Looks like some things never change Mark :!:
linell

Postby BC Wench » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:21 pm

Is this still a Brickwall, or have you solved it?

Unless otherwise advised this will be moved to the Brickwalls Archived section
within 24 hours
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Return to Archived Brick Wall Posts