*Arc tbc* ---Boatmen

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, BC Wench

*Arc tbc* ---Boatmen

Postby Fotofunguy » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:15 pm

Hello

I have a brick wall with my great grandfather who was named William Henry GLOVER apparently born in 1871.

William married Elizabeth Woodcock on 10 Nov 1895 at St Michael's Church, Brierley Hill, Staffordshire, England

On the wedding certificate it is noted that William was a boatman, I assume he was working on the inland waterways.

After they got married William moved into the Woodcock's family home, shrewd chappy saves buying your own, and in his later years he lived there. The house was next door to the Presbyterian Chapel at 11 Mount Pleasant, Quarry Bank and I do have vague recollections of visiting the house and meeting Elizabeth my Great Grandmother.

I would love to find out where William was born, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards to you all. :P

Fotofunguy
Fotofunguy

Re: Boatmen

Postby peterd » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:30 pm

1901 11 mount pleasant quarry bank

William Glover 30 Labourer iron works, Dudley,
Elizabeth Glover 28 Brierley Hill
William Glover 5 Brierley Hill
Lily Glover 2 Brierley Hill
Florence E Glover 1 Brierley Hill
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby peterd » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:32 pm

ffg do you have the marriage cert ? who was williams father and who were the witnesses ?

GLOVER William WOODCOCK Elizabeth 1895 Brierley Hill, St Michael West Midlands Dudley Register Office 210/005/195
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

peterd

Postby mumbles » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:13 pm

1911 Census 11,Mount Pleasant Quarry Bank Kingswinford Stourbridge Worcs.
William Glover Head 40 Labourer Blast Furnace born Not Known England
Elizabeth Glover wife 39 born Brierley Hill Staffs.
William Glover son 15 Brickmaker
Lily Glover dau 13 School
Florence Glover dau 10 School
Charles Glover son 9
Henry Glover son 6
George Glover son 3
Elizabeth Glover dau 2
Rest born 11, Mount Pleasant

It would appear that William was probably not born at Brierley Hill as noted in 1901 Census
mumbles

Postby linell » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:49 am

Hi ffg, I would try and find the Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Register and see what if any Glover's are in there? Linell.
linell

Postby Northern Lass » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:57 am

Is he not on the regis sites for a birth?

what age is he on marriage and when was marriage
how does the age compare on census?
can you narrow down the qtr and year based on that info?
Northern Lass

Postby kdw » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:07 am

Could this be him in 1881
William Glover
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1866

Civil parish: Vessels
County/Island: Staffordshire

Street Address: "Willey"

Registration district: Stourbridge
Sub-registration district: Kingswinford
ED, institution, or vessel: Willey
kdw

Postby Fotofunguy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:22 pm

Hello Everyone

Yes I do have the marriage certificate, the marriage between William GLOVER aged 24 and Elizabeth WOODCOCK aged 23 took place at St Michael’s Church, Brierley Hill on November 10th 1895.

It appears that both William and Elizabeth were unable to sign their names and they each made their mark with a cross.

William was a Bachelor and his occupation is shown as Boatman, his residence is shown as Brierley Hill at the time of the marriage.

William’s father was Samuel Glover; his occupation is shown as Boatman also.

Elizabeth is shown as being a Spinster, her residence is shown as Mill Street, I assume Mill Street, Brierley Hill as this road is close to St Michael's Church and is adjacent to Mount Pleasant which is where they lived after their marriage.

Elizabeth’s father was Henry Woodcock; his occupation is shown as Miner.

Witnesses were Isaac Jones and Maria Silcox, the Rector was Herbert H. Dibben (maybe not quite correct as writing is a little iffy).

I hope that this information helps you whiz kids to delve a little further, grateful thanks in anticipation.

Fotofunguy
Fotofunguy

Postby Fotofunguy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:27 pm

Hello kdw

I looked at that possibility some time ago but he would have been just ten years old in 1881 and that doesn’t seem to add up.

Thanks for trying,

ffg
Fotofunguy

Postby linell » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:09 pm

Are you sure ffg, Wm that Kaye found was aged 15 and a Boatman :!: Seems to tick all the boxes, don't know what sort of Vessell he was on in Staffordshire though, we need Adrian our Military Historian or Pete our regular historian to have a look at the Image.

Linell.
linell

Postby linell » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:13 pm

Oh I see Wm was born about 1870, so maybe it isn't him, being as his age was consistent in 1901 and 1911, also his Marriage, will get back to the drawing board :!:

Linell.
linell

Postby linell » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:37 pm

There's a Mary Silcox in Mount Pleasant Brierley Hill 1891, but she was born 1887, so a bit young to be the Marriage Witness, the address fits though. Linell.
linell

Postby peterd » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:27 pm

Fotofunguy,

did william have a younger brother charles any more siblings ?

of the web
"My Grandfather was Charles Glover the younger brother of your grandfather William. I too am having great dificulty in trying to track down the elusive Samuel Glover!

On my Granfathers birth Certificate William Glover was no longer a boatman, but a colliery labourer - I guess he lef t|help|the waterways due to lack of jobs growing family etc.

I note that your last posting was in Nov - I was wondering if you had made any headway with your search - If so I would be greatful for any info you may have."

peterd

Postby Fotofunguy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:04 pm

Hello

I notice a Charlie Glover appearing in the replies.

Here is a transcript of the funeral notice that appeared in the local newspaper following William Henry Jr's death.

This may be of interest to some of the people in the chain as I feel sure they may be able to identify their ancestors..

--------------------------------

Newspaper cutting which appeared in the local newspaper regarding William Henry Glover’s death and funeral, this was probably in mid February 1947.

Mr W H Glover, Quarry Bank

The death occurred at the Corbett Hospital on January 31st of Mr William Henry Glover, 245 Amblecote Road, Quarry Bank aged 51 years

The funeral took place at Quarry Bank Church on Wednesday and the mourners were Mr Jack Glover (son) Messrs. Charlie Glover, Henry Glover, George Glover and Jack Glover (brothers) Mr Ben Cartwright (brother in law)

Floral tributes were from; Loving wife Elsie, son Jack and Olive, grandchildren Barrie and Jean, dad, Henry, Lizzie and family, Charlie, Lily and family, Lily, George and Dennis, Floss, Jack and family, Doris and Charlie, Jack, Freda and baby, George, Evelyn and Alan, aunt Jane and family, Gertie and Percy, Ben and Minnie, Doris and Ralph, Betty and Bert, Mr and Mrs Fletcher and family, customers of the Birch Tree Inn, friends and neighbours of Amblecote Road and Mr and Mrs B Willets and family.

The undertakers were Messrs. J T Brookes and Co, Brierley Hill

Fotofunguy
Fotofunguy

Postby peterd » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:10 pm

Fotofunguy wrote:Hello

I notice a Charlie Glover appearing in the replies.

Here is a transcript of the funeral notice that appeared in the local newspaper following William Henry Jr's death.

This may be of interest to some of the people in the chain as I feel sure they may be able to identify their ancestors..

--------------------------------

Newspaper cutting which appeared in the local newspaper regarding William Henry Glover’s death and funeral, this was probably in mid February 1947.

Mr W H Glover, Quarry Bank

The death occurred at the Corbett Hospital on January 31st of Mr William Henry Glover, 245 Amblecote Road, Quarry Bank aged 51 years

The funeral took place at Quarry Bank Church on Wednesday and the mourners were Mr Jack Glover (son) Messrs. Charlie Glover, Henry Glover, George Glover and Jack Glover (brothers) Mr Ben Cartwright (brother in law)

Floral tributes were from; Loving wife Elsie, son Jack and Olive, grandchildren Barrie and Jean, dad, Henry, Lizzie and family, Charlie, Lily and family, Lily, George and Dennis, Floss, Jack and family, Doris and Charlie, Jack, Freda and baby, George, Evelyn and Alan, aunt Jane and family, Gertie and Percy, Ben and Minnie, Doris and Ralph, Betty and Bert, Mr and Mrs Fletcher and family, customers of the Birch Tree Inn, friends and neighbours of Amblecote Road and Mr and Mrs B Willets and family.

The undertakers were Messrs. J T Brookes and Co, Brierley Hill

Fotofunguy

so william srn had a sister or sister in law called jane ? wonder if the grave is a old family grave or a new one for william jrn family ?

quarry bank church what was the nearest cemetary you got the date of death he was buried the following wenesday you should be able to get a grave location might be something on the grave stone ?

peterd

Next

Return to Archived Brick Wall Posts