ARC TBC Children into care in the 1880’s?

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, BC Wench

ARC TBC Children into care in the 1880’s?

Postby Tempest » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:53 am

By the 1881 census my ancestors have had 3 children. In Balloon Court, Nottingham (demolished now firstly for Victoria railway station and nowadays Vitoria shopping center) they were living above the Mission Room of St. Stephens Church. I was already frustrated that my direct ancestor Alfred Henry Campion only 3 years old was missing from the census, in fact missing from the next two until he appears on his marriage certificate. The other two children are there but they too go missing from later census. Last night I found a Newspaper article that says parents Samuel and Elizabeth Campion were in court in 1883 for suffocating their 4th child, 3 weeks old, on what I think is her birth and death cert as “female” Campion. 3 months later Samuel dies, I can find no further evidence of wife Elizabeth maiden name Doubleday.
So do you think the 3 children were taken by the authorities at the time, where would I start looking? In that time would it have been the Workhouse? Any help as ever much appreciated
Tempest

Re: Children into care in the 1880’s?

Postby grangers14 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:28 am

This family?

1881. Stephens Mission Room, Over Street, Nottingham
Samuel campion, 30, Excavator
Elizabeth, wife, 28, Lace Clipper, Alfreton
Mary, daur, 5,
John, son, 3
Others born Nottingham

CAMPIN, MARY ANN DOUBLEDAY
GRO Reference: 1875 S Quarter in NOTTINGHAM Volume 07B Page 281

CAMPIN, ALFRED HENRY DOUBLEDAY
GRO Reference: 1877 M Quarter in NOTTINGHAM Volume 07B Page 317

CAMPION, ELIZABETH ANNIE DOUBLEDAY
GRO Reference: 1879 D Quarter in NOTTINGHAM Volume 07B Page 309

CAMPION, SAMUEL DOUBLEDAY
GRO Reference: 1881 S Quarter in NOTTINGHAM Volume 07B Page 295

CAMPION, - DONBLEDAY
GRO Reference: 1883 D Quarter in NOTTINGHAM Volume 07B Page 348
grangers14

Postby grangers14 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:37 pm

I haven't been able to locate Mary Ann or Alfred Henry, could he be miss transcribed as John? I couldn't see a birth for a John with mothers name variation of Doubleday.

Do you have Alfreds marriage cert to check address and witnesses?

I did find something, could be possible for Mary Ann??

another marriage for Harry Oswin? If it is marriage could give a possible indicator where she was living

Marriages Dec 1896 (>99%)
CAMPION Mary Ann Nottingham 7b 479 Scan available - click to view
Oswin Henry Nottingham 7b 479

1911. 45 Storer St Nottingham, Nottingham
Harry Oswin, head, 39, Hoisery worker
Mary Ann, wife, 43, lace hand
Nellie, daur, 16?, lace hand
Lizzie Lee, daur, 20
Treice?, daur, 14, lacer hand
Harry Campion, son, 13
Emma, daur, 12,
Henry, son, 10
All born Nottingham.

Mary Ann's son before marriage?
CAMPION, HARRY -
GRO Reference: 1899 S Quarter in NOTTINGHAM Volume 07B Page 300

Could be pages missing from census? I did check just initials as some times in establishments that just have initials? I couldn't see anything...
grangers14

Postby Marchesgirl » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:59 am

There were other options to the Workhouse. On one of my lines, two sisters went to live in Josiah Mason's Orphanage in Birmingham after both their parents died quite young within a couple of years of each other. In their teens, they both went into service and, later in life, returned to live with two of their brothers who had been taken in by a pair of maiden aunts.

On another line, two sisters from Lye went to live in a Dr. Barnardos Home in Ilford, Essex after their mother was admitted to the County Lunatic Asylum at Powick. Their mother's case notes indicate that the girls were neglected, she threatened to kil them and had actually tried to cut one's throat. The girls don't appear to have had any further contact with their birth family.

You could try looking at a local directory for Children's Homes in Nottingham but they may have been sent out of the area, particularly given the circumstances of their being taken into care.
Marchesgirl

Postby nugentsmith » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:49 pm

It seems that the Workhouse in Nottingham was in York Street and so was itself demolished to make way for Victoria Station! I think that the only way to find records of inmates is through the County archives.

I have come across an alternative - the Industrial Schools, set up after an act of Parliament in 1857. I have found some ancestors in Bristol, mainly by accident, so I cannot suggest a place to search for information.
nugentsmith

Postby Tempest » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:24 am

grangers14 wrote:This family?

1881. Stephens Mission Room, Over Street,

Yes that’s them, although there isn’t an Over Street, I believe that’s been transcribed wrong, it should read “over St. Stephens Mission rooms”
Tempest

Postby Tempest » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:46 am

grangers14 wrote:I haven't been able to locate Mary Ann or Alfred Henry, could he be miss transcribed as John? I couldn't see a birth for a John with mothers name variation of Doubleday.

Do you have Alfreds marriage cert to check address and witnesses?

I do; he married Elizabeth Turner 12 Apr 1902 his address at the time is given as 6 Lennox Street, but I tried the 1901 and 1911 for that, it didn't help.Both witnesses were from Elizabeth side of the family which also makes me think he was estranged from the Campion family. witness 1 is John Turner Elizabeths brother not sure who Annie Eliza Turner is though.
Tempest

Postby Tempest » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:46 am

Marchesgirl and nugentsmith - thank-you, The Barnodo's avenue could be one to try I'd not thought of, I was on rootschat a few days ago where Industrial schools came u there is one in Radford Nottingham which could be relevant.I do think this is where at least John and Alfred Henry ended up due to the circumstance of the court case and Samuels death. Ironic if it was York street as like you say that too was demolished for Victoria station.
Tempest

Postby Tempest » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:58 am

Think I've something.

in 1891 census for Georges Square, Nottingham
William Ward 47 Ireland
Elizabeth Ward 31 Alfreton
Mary A Campione 15 step daughter
Samuel Campione 9 stepson

which would indicate Elizabeth remarried, large age gap?
Still no sign of John and Alfred Henry though?

Also possible marriage for Mary Ann
9 Oct 1898 to John Adcock 7B 571
Tempest

Postby SRD » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:18 am

The Quakers also ran orphanages.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby BC Wench » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:37 am

Is this still a Brickwall, or have you solved it?

Unless otherwise advised this will be moved to the Brickwalls Archived section
within 24 hours
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Return to Archived Brick Wall Posts