ARC TBC Mysterious Mary...BC Wench adding

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, BC Wench

Re: Mysterious Mary...BC Wench adding

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:33 am

Not really been following this but just so I am clear.

Was there a book given to Nathan Taylor by a Fletcher?
If so do we know who?

could this letter have been in the book?

Does look like it is a Samuel Fletcher that Mary married and he left her?

when this is archived we could do with linking this letter to Bcc.
what a find!

It looks like the correct Fletchers as Sarah is named Sarah Roberts after her grandmother Sarah roberts Powell

So what happened to Samuel?

who did he go off with?
and when?

any census.

:shock:
Northern Lass

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:39 am

Could someone transcribe the letter if they a min as I can't read it all.

anyone got time?

:grin:
Northern Lass

Postby BC Wench » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:40 am

Did this yesterday.

Dear Sam
Your pleasing and very consoling letter came duly to hand. I say consoling, because when people ask me if I think you have not another woman of course I can say, yes, quite a dandy so, pleasing in two ways, it removes the doubt and also because you have such a beauty. But Sam have you made the best of choice, myself and others think you have to much for your money. I dont wonder you have come down to the light weight of 103lbs dont her make your back ache. But Sam so bad as you have tried to make me I never brought you down to 103 if ever you were below 153 or 163 I would advise you to take matters with her more quiet, or else call in that squad of soldiers just to help you out. You spoke something about a quantity of soldiers to assist you in one of your letters it has probably crossed your mind before. I have heard of men when they are woman overdone, resorting to Wiskey drinking to raise their spirits by your own words that is what you have done. But Sam when you are rolling in luxary, just think of one you have left behind. You have told me plain now you never loved me, so I need not to expect anything of you hate the Mother, love the Child, if it is only the crumbs that fall from your rich table, do something for the Child. You say I never told you how the child liked the broach you sent, but I know my brother did tell you in the very next letter after you sent how very pleased she was with it, but you are not likely to remember anything but bad about me, when you have such a dandy/cloudy .... at hand. I fancy she must make your eyes twinkle when you take a good fair look at her. I think I had better bring this letter to a close as long letter from one you hate must only be a worry to you. From your faithful but afflicted wife and loving child, hoping this may find you and your beauty well. Mary L. Fletcher

P.S. I must call your attention to one paragraph in your letter, you said the person who made out you were married, were a God-damn-son-of-a-bitch of a liar. If I am any judge, according as you represent, you are doing worse. I must leave that with you, no one can charge me of doing anything like what you represent you are doing. I hope the Xmas box you promised to send Sarah will have a safe voyage, because it will be so very precious to her having so few.

The mention of soldiers, why soldiers, did he go into the Military, serve in the Boar Wars - just picking at things here.

There are so many Samuel Fletchers born around the same time, that it's difficult to find the correct one without doing all the ancestors of all the Samuel Fletchers. I was wondering if he was living with any siblings (the Samuel whose parents were William & Sarah Roberts Powell), so have found them which I will add to BCC later, but Samuel wasn't living with any of them :(
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby gardener » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:40 pm

I wonder if Samuel went to North america or somewhere? "God-damn-son-of-a-bitch" sounds a bit American to me. And " I hope the Xmas box you promised to send Sarah will have a safe voyage" sounds as though the box would be travelling across the sea?
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby Frodo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:08 pm

I have a small number of Nathan's books but none seem to have any connection to Mary or Sam. Nathan usually put the day he was given the book inside but I only have a book he gained from a Thomas Taylor in 1846 (possibly on his death - see the Taylor photos in the gallery - I'm still looking for something to connect Thomas and William to my Taylor family) and a book from a John Adams in 1857.

Nathan went to America in 1865 and again in 1870 but at the time of the letter he was married to Martha Manger and living on Malt Mill Lane and there's no mention of any connection to Mary/Sam in the autobiography he wrote on his sick bed in the years just before 1911.
Frodo

Postby mallosa » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:31 am

see the Taylor photos in the gallery

gallery/album.php?album_id=114
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby Northern Lass » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:35 am

Think what we can has been added moving to brickwalls.

Frodo if we have your permission to put the letter on Bcc I can do that.
Northern Lass

Postby Frodo » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:59 pm

I'm quite happy to have the letter added to Bcc I still can't work out the connection to my family so perhaps under Fletcher and Taylor or Fletcher with a link to Taylor? Maybe in the future someone will recognise a connection.
Frodo

Postby mallosa » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:05 pm

perhaps under Fletcher and Taylor or Fletcher with a link to Taylor? Maybe in the future someone will recognise a connection

I'm sure there is a connection frodo, it's just a matter of finding it :crazy:
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:43 am

Frodo wrote:I'm quite happy to have the letter added to Bcc I still can't work out the connection to my family so perhaps under Fletcher and Taylor or Fletcher with a link to Taylor? Maybe in the future someone will recognise a connection.

I can only add the transcribed letter that Bc wench did unless Mally can put the letter in the gallery and then I can link from there.
No facilities to put the actual letter on Bcc in notes but can add a link and the transcribed letter.
I can put the letter on the actual person who wrote it ie mary -I can put in her notes.
With a note saying that it ended up in Nathan Taylors posessions...and then I can hyperlink to him.

So let me know will you.
That is all I can do.

So just to be clear ...we think Sam is Samuel Fletcher and Mary married him (both on bcc)
and somehow this letter ends up with Nathan Taylor...but we don't know why
is that correct?
Northern Lass

Re: Mysterious Mary

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:47 am

Frodo wrote:Looking at the Taylor family Samuel Fletcher boarded with on the 1891 I wonder whether they are descended from the mysterious Thomas Taylor who was a previous owner of one of Nathan's books (see my previous archived post) given that they seem to be using Thomas as a family name.

Surely this is it isnt it?
the letter was in the Thomas Taylor Book that he then gave to nathan
that has got to be it... :?
Northern Lass

Postby mallosa » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:42 pm

Mmm sounds good to me. I dont think I can put the original letter on cos Frodo sent it to me in 3 parts but I'll see what I can do later this evening :wink:

mallosa

Postby BC Wench » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:37 pm

Thomas Taylor who married Elizabeth Fletcher - I've added census on BCC here for Thomas's father, mother & siblings

https://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/t ... ver=421202
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby mallosa » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:51 pm

mallosa wrote:Mmm sounds good to me. I dont think I can put the original letter on cos Frodo sent it to me in 3 parts but I'll see what I can do later this evening :wink:

Ok - sorted :wink: gallery/album.php?album_id=114&sort_method=image_name&sort_order=ASC&start=12

I need to add further details, what would you like me to add Frodo?

mallosa

Postby Northern Lass » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:36 am

But the Samuel Fletcher boarding with Thomas Taylor looks like the brother of Elizabeth Fletcher who married Thomas Taylor.
So not the one who married Mary Skidmore.
The Samuel Fletcher who is brother in law to Thomas Taylor goes onto marry Hannah Capewell.

So the Samuel Fletcher who marries Mary Skidmore has a father William
https://www.tribalpages.com/tribe/brows ... =276136503

So why would Thomas Taylor have a letter from an unrelated Samuel Fletcher ie not his bro in law but someone else.

:shock:
Northern Lass

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Brick Wall Posts