ARC TBC What is this photo

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, BC Wench

ARC TBC What is this photo

Postby Craigharrison111 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:08 am

Hi. I've just joined and I'm very interested in some assistance in understanding a specific photo of my grandfather that I was recently given. He was born in north Wales in the early 1900's - I believe he was too young to be called up for the First World War and was a lead miner during the 2nd world war. I don't understand what this photo is. Whether it's a police photo or a call up photo or some other kind of photo. Can anyone assist me in understanding what I'm looking at here? What are the letters and numbers signifying? I'm really at a loss. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (87.71 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
Craigharrison111

Re: What is this photo

Postby SRD » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:01 am

I wonder if it might be some kind of ID to show he was working in a protected industry. Social and labour history sites might come up with something.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby Frodo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:42 pm

I wonder if ZNFI refers to Rudnik Trbovlje as it appears to come up regularly as an abbreviation for the place when searching the internet - it is a town in Slovenia annexed to ~Germany in WW2 and had a coal mine. Perhaps your grandfather was a prisoner of war put to work in the mine or one of the other industries of the town.
Frodo

Postby Craigharrison111 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:17 am

thanks for both suggestions - I'll look into both. I tend to lean more towards the former as from what I'm told, he didn't go overseas but I've been unable to find any similar photos to prove either case.

Anyway - thanks for the help and I'll let you know if I come up with anything.
Craigharrison111

Postby grangers14 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:16 am

What was your grand fathers name and date of birth? Perhaps there may be some war records on him? Certainly looks like a prisoner ID photo.
grangers14

Postby BC Wench » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:50 am

Is this still a Brickwall, or have you solved it?

Unless otherwise advised this will be moved to the Brickwalls Archived section
within 24 hours
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Return to Archived Brick Wall Posts