ARC TBC Joseph Bate Blackheath Early 20th century

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, BC Wench

Re: Joseph Bate Blackheath Early 20th century

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:31 am

CArol do you know if Joan and Leslie Rose are deceased
she was born 1922
there is this one?
Deaths Dec 1975
Rose Joan 14ap1922 Birmingham 32 335
Northern Lass

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:40 am

Carol it looks to me like Joseph, that marries Rita is your dads cousin (the one that he thinks is older than him)
I have his marriage info which I will add.
He is a Joseph B Bate b 1927 see here
Births Dec 1927
Bate Joseph B Tooth Stourbridge 6c 5

the B is for Benjamin ...and on marriage to rita he is age 21 so works out to match that birth.

so looks like that is your Joseph that your Dad is mentioning.
Maybe he was just a taller lad?

And you don't know what happened to this Joseph or Rita?
any kids you know of them having we can see where registered?
Northern Lass

Postby Jimmy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:52 am

I can't see anything.
Just trying to do my bit for BCC, bringing families back together.
Jimmy

Postby Carol » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:09 pm

Hi Northern Lass and Jimmy
Thanks for all your efforts.
Rewinding for now to your question about the wedding photo NL, I've dug out the original and starting with the top row and working clockwise the labels are
Eislene Tibbetts, Joan Rose nee Bate who is Dad's cousin, Dad's aunty Lena, Stan Roberts, Joseph Bate-Groom Dad's Cousin Les Rose
Nell Tooth. Dad's Auntie Edie, Grandma's brother, Bert's wife
Grandma, Rita's sister, Rita- Bride, Len's grandaughter Margaret-Annie and Stan's daughter, Jacqueline Rose daughter of Joan and Les my 2nd cousin, Little May
Dad's uncle Jo Bate, Jo's daughter Dad's cousin, Annie nee Bate Roberts

I think Dad has just pointed to the head at teh back to the right of Anni Bate Roberts and said it is Joan Bate but he may have been looking a little to the right to Joan Rose nee Bate and getting in a muddle- who knows!

Strange I can't see Dad in the wedding photo if he was witness to the wedding- perhaps he was taking the photo? He didn't say.
There is an unidentified man in the back row- third on the right- maybe that is Dad
Carol

http://www.southernlurcherrescue.org.uk/

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSSkhCu/]
[/url]
Carol

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:48 am

Thanks Carol

So think this one is now completed
Mission accomplished :wink:
Northern Lass

Postby Carol » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:19 pm

An update for you - many thanks to NL, I have just had a chat with the long (not so lost LOL) Jospeh Bate and lovely to hear the Black Country accent. He reminded me that we share not only the Bate line but also the Tooth line as his Dad was my Dad's Dad's brother and his mum was my Dad's mother's sister ( 2 brothers married two sisters)
He was able to tell me that my Grandad Jack (John Thomas) initially worked at Lenches as one of 7 in the family who worked there. He then moved to work in a factory owned by Gadds (I have a Gadd connection somewhere but forget just now apart from being in the Horse Shoe Inn at Waterfall Lane upon returning from America). This factory did similar things to Lenches and Burton Dellingpole where Grandad finished his working life. Joseph remembers going to my Grandad's funeral and hasn't seen Dad since. I put him on the phone and had a very quick hello with my Dad but Dad is deaf as a post so not much more. It is great to have connected the two of them after having heard the name Jospeh so many times in the last few months.
Joseph was able to confirm the story I have already told on here elsewhere that the Tooth family retrned from America because my Greatgrandmother Henrietta Tooth had been very ill out there.
Big thanks to NL for giving me a nudge to ring Joseph. I can't think why I never did years ago when I was researching first time around.
Carol

[/url]
Carol

Postby Carol » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:50 pm

Northern Lass wrote:CArol do you know if Joan and Leslie Rose are deceased
she was born 1922
there is this one?
Deaths Dec 1975
Rose Joan 14ap1922 Birmingham 32 335

Sorry no idea
Carol

[/url]
Carol

Postby Carol » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:28 pm

Hi, an update especially for Northern Lass.
Had a lovely visit today from Joseph and his daughter, and fortunately my Dad was as good as he gets when they arrived. Dad and his cousin haven't seen each other since my grandmother's funeral in the mid 60s I think and they both said they didn't recognise each other LOL. Jo's still got a lovely Black Country accent and I still find it hard to see how other people can hear it in my Dad.
I learnt a couple of interesting snippets today, the first was the name of the mine where my Gtgrandfather Joseph Bate had his accident which was Cakemore Pit. I found a mention of this mine on the Black Country Muse website so will need to follow this up.
Another bit was a bit more about another family accident - young Benjamin Bate who was killed working at Lenches and died aged only 13 or 14. Apparently it was a belt accident- the engine belt broke and hit him in the face killing him.
We looked at some old family photos and I showed one of Jo to him when he was a baby that he had never seen before. He seemed to rememeber the same names that Dad had remembered so there was nothing new to add to my labelling. I hope they both enjoyed their visit , I think Dad enjoyed it as much as he can enjoy anything these days. Perhaps he will stop calling out Joseph now in the middle of the night- we shall see :roll:
Carol

[/url]
Carol

Postby grangers14 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:57 am

Lovely to hear how things have gone! :)
grangers14

Postby mallosa » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:44 am

How lovely for you Carol (and your dad of course)
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby BC Wench » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:26 am

Is this still a Brickwall, or have you solved it?

Unless otherwise advised this will be moved to the Brickwalls Archived section
within 24 hours
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Previous

Return to Archived Brick Wall Posts