BURLEY ancestry, Cradley Worcs 1700s

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, BC Wench

BURLEY ancestry, Cradley Worcs 1700s

Postby Rob G » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:06 pm

Can someone help regarding the following:
Richard BURLEY m. Elizabeth SEEDWAY 02 Sep 1758 at St Giles Rowley Regis. Both had been married previously, I think Elizabeth's maiden name was HARRIS prior to becoming SEEDWAY. Richard may have been previously married to Sarah FOXALL, but need proof of this. His parents may have been Richard BURLEY (d. 1747) and Elizabeth JACKSON, but again need proof. They lived in Cradley Worcs which was part of Halesowen Parish. Assistance appreciated. Rob G
Rob G

Re: BURLEY ancestry, Cradley Worcs 1700s

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:56 am

moved to BC discussion :grin:
Northern Lass

Postby Marie n Bill » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:12 am

My wife Marie is related to the Burley family of Cradley. Her four times great grandfather was James Burley who married Sylvia Cox, 19 Sep 1803 at Halesowen. We believe that James Burley's parents were Richard Burley and Jane Dicks, marriage 13 Feb 1768, Halesowen. We have recorded children from 1772, William, Phebe, Isaac, Jane, Elizabeth, Lydia and her James who was youngest but one (1782). Not sure if this is anything to do with your question, we will recheck our research and look at your names also within next day or so.
Marie n Bill

Postby Rob G » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:50 am

Thanks for that. Yes, I've encountered James & Sylvia many times, but I can't tie them directly into my BURLEY line, although I think there must be a link somewhere. The info you sent is useful though, I'll see if any of those you mention turn up in my tree, meantime look forward to hearing more from you!
Rob G

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:56 am

ok so we have Richard here
http://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/tr ... ver=395408

so we need to look at that marriage didn't know she was a widow on that marriage
anyone got the transcript handy or will dig out mine.

and this is James
http://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/tr ... i=85952033

again anyone got the full marriage info pls
Northern Lass

Postby grangers14 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:03 am

Freereg has

2nd September 1758. St Giles,
Richard Burley, W, Halesowen
Elizabeth Seedway, W, Rowley Regis
Witnesses, Joyce Homer, Jeremiah Gaunt
grangers14

Postby Northern Lass » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:02 am

Thanks Jo

added that

so has anyone got the marriage for a Richard Burley and a Foxall
and

Elizabeth Harris and Sidaway or similar spelling poss st giles or halesowen....or could it be clent..not sure when they had to go to clent from RRegis parish.
Northern Lass

Postby mallosa » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:31 pm

any use....

Freereg

County Staffordshire
Place Rowley Regis
Church name St Giles
Register type Unspecified
Marriage date 08 Apr 1751
Groom forename John
Groom surname SEEDWAY
Bride forename Elizabeth
Bride surname HARRIS
Register note
Transcriber notes

Freeereg

County Staffordshire
Place Rowley Regis
Church name St Giles
Register type Unspecified
Burial date 01 Nov 1757
Person age 26
Burial person forename John
Burial person surname SEEDWAY
Witness
Witness
Register note P., John Junr.
Transcriber notes
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby Rob G » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:48 pm

Thanks to everyone for your useful information, all noted.

Does anyone out there have info regarding Richard's parents and siblings? I see that his father, also Richard, was married to Elizabeth Jackson in 1703 at St John the Baptist Halesowen - that would probably have made Richard Jnr (b. 1715) one of their later children, so were there others. Also, any idea of Richard Snr/Elizabeth Jackson's DoB?

Rob G
Rob G

Postby Silver surfer » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:52 pm

Hi Rob. Have tried to send you a private message but it seems more complicated than it was. I emailed you last week about my Burley/Foley line. I googled Benjamin Brecknell Burley and it came up with the photo gallery on this site. Have you seen it?

Hello again Northern Lass, still going strong I see. Can you tell me where the grave is please, was it St Lukes, think peterd might have posted it. :wink:
Researching Foley, Burley, Dean, Danks, Smith, Pugh, Hughes, Shakespeare.
Silver surfer

Postby Silver surfer » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:32 pm

Rob, I have a marriage of Richard to Sarah Foxall 9th May 1736 at St Johns Halesowen where she was also buried 18 Jan 1755. My ref on my family tree maker says the source for the marriage was St Johns Parish registers. No info as to witnesses etc St John's PRs gives a burial for a Richard Burley 5 Sep 1871.

Also found this on
Cradley links site:
HOUSE SURVEY (1782)
Every dwelling place in Cradley in 1782, together with the owner and occupier, and an indication of its location, and the quantity and value of land belonging to each proprietor

No Occupiers Proprietors Situation Annual value
145 Burley,Richd. Newton , widow Cradley Tenement, shop & garden 1 6 8

Its been such a long time since I did this research it would have to be confirmed.
Researching Foley, Burley, Dean, Danks, Smith, Pugh, Hughes, Shakespeare.
Silver surfer

Postby Rob G » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:59 pm

Silver surfer wrote:Rob, I have a marriage of Richard to Sarah Foxall 9th May 1736 at St Johns Halesowen where she was also buried 18 Jan 1755. My ref on my family tree maker says the source for the marriage was St Johns Parish registers. No info as to witnesses etc St John's PRs gives a burial for a Richard Burley 5 Sep 1871.

Also found this on
Cradley links site:
HOUSE SURVEY (1782)
Every dwelling place in Cradley in 1782, together with the owner and occupier, and an indication of its location, and the quantity and value of land belonging to each proprietor

No Occupiers Proprietors Situation Annual value
145 Burley,Richd. Newton , widow Cradley Tenement, shop & garden 1 6 8

Its been such a long time since I did this research it would have to be confirmed.

Hello Silver Surfer
I note from the past that you've also an interest in my BURLEYs. I have the PRs from Halesowen and note the marriage with Sarah FOXALL, together with the deaths you mention. Also seen the info from Cradley Links. Would love to talk to you about connections with the families of BURLEY & FOLEY, many of whom were publicans in and around Cradley Hth/Old Hill, especially the Round of Beef in Tibbetts Garden.
Rob G
Rob G

Postby Northern Lass » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:34 am

Hi SS welcome back :wink:

Rob where is the baptism for Richard Burley from please can you give the full details
could do with Richard Burleys dob
http://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/tr ... =169581195

or if anyone else can find it please.

So Rob is Richard married to Elizabeth Harris your line if so would you like me to add your name in notes
on Bcc.
shame for Trisha to be on her todd.... :wink:

oh and did we find the marriage of Richard to sarah foxall then I can add that too.
Northern Lass

Re: BURLEY ancestry, Cradley Worcs 1700s--NL adding

Postby Rob G » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:36 pm

Hi Northern Lass

One of the biggest obstacles I had in my family's line is that I had never been able to trace the DoB for either Richard Snr or Jnr. However, I very recently found a Baptism for Richard Jnr 1715 in Halesowen St John the Baptist with parents Richard & Elizabeth. I was a little skeptical because Richard Snr was married to Elizabeth in 1703 and thus assuming Richard Jnr to have older siblings, would not an earlier son be named after the father? Am I being too complex?

However, I think we can take it that Richard Jnr 1st marriage was to Sarah FOXALL and that his 2nd wife, Elizabeth SEEDWAY was nee HARRIS, so go ahead with BCC. Meanwhile, still would like to go further back with my BURLEYs!

Richard Jnr's son Thomas b. 1762 m. Elizabeth BRECKNELL, she came from a very interesting family of Kinlet Shrops - if anyone has info on them would like to have details.

Rob G
Rob G

Re: BURLEY ancestry, Cradley Worcs 1700s--NL adding

Postby Rob G » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:38 pm

Hello again Northern Lass

Here are the details for BCC -

Father -
23 Jun 1703 Richard BURLY m. Elizabeth JACKSON St John the Baptist Hales Owen (Richard BURLY & Elizabeth JACKSON of Cradly married)

Son -
Richard BURLEY Bapt. 1715 St John the Baptist Hales Owen
m. 1.- Sarah FOXALL 09 May 1736 St John the Baptist Hales Owen (Richard BURLY & Sarah FOXALL both otp married)
m. 2.- Elizabeth SEEDWAY 02 Sep 1758 St Giles Rowley Regis (Richard BURLEY widower of the P. Halesowen & Elizabeth SEEDWAY widow. Wit: Joyce HOMER, married at Rowley Regis)

Elizabeth HARRIS m. John SEEDWAY 08 Apr 1751 St Giles Rowley Regis
(possible Bapt, for Elizabeth HARRIS 23 Oct 1726 Rowley Regis

01 Nov 1757 John SEEDWAY Junr p. age 26yrs buried at Rowley Regis

Rob G
Rob G

Next

Return to Archived Brick Wall Posts