Luckaes/Luckas/Lucas Sixpenny Handley, Dorset,

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, BC Wench

Luckaes/Luckas/Lucas Sixpenny Handley, Dorset,

Postby jimstallard » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:09 pm

Hi all,

I have certificates of birth and marriages back to Hannah Trowbridge, then it gets a little complicated.

I'm wondering if anyone has information on Catherine Trowbridge, and/or Christian Luckaes, (circa early 1800), who possibly are one and the same person.

This story starts, in 1821 on Feb 22 when John Trowbridge marries Christain Luckaes, in Sixpenny Handley, Dorset. (see attached). On the marriage cert "Luckass" is crossed out and re-written Luckaes - Rideout ws a travelling rector who must have had experience of the dialtec and local names - why cross out Luckass (a common name in that area) then write in Luckaes, was he hearing something different, something foreign? As both John and Christian leave their mark, I'm sure they didn't correct the spelling! (And he did write Marther for one of the witnesses who in all other records is Martha, and John's surname is Trowbridge and Trobridge on the same cert.)

Records dhow John Trowbridge and Catherine (aka "Kitty") have (1821) Frederic (buried 1821), (1823) Hannah, (1826) Betsy, (1829) George and (1831) John (buried 1832), all at 6d Handley.

In 1834 Anne Frampton (widow) marries John Trowbridge (widower), 10th June, 6d Handley.

1841 Census, John TROBIGE, Anne Trobige, Hannah, Betsy and George are at Deanlane, 6d Handley with Josiah Frampton 15, and Frederick Frampton 14 (Anne Frampton's children from previous marriage.)

1851 Cenus John TROWBRIDGE, with Anne, and George (+ lodger) still Deanlane, 6d Handley

1871 Census John Trowbridge, (b. 1795 Pentridge, Dorsetshire), 6d Handley, with spouse ANNA Trowbridge.

It would seem Christain Luckaes is the same person as Catherine although no evidence of this. No burial/death details for Christian.

No death/burial or divorce details for Catherine.

From OPC Dorset Parish records, there is only one John Trowbridge/Trobige, in 6d Handley throughout this whole time period...

[In 1851 Census, HANNAH is in Pentridge, where her father John was born. She's a servant of Tom John Hayter and wife Elizabeth. (Some link to John?) In 1854 she was in Durley Hampshire marrying James May. (Two decades later she marries Charles May). In 1855 she gives birth to Mary Jane May, her daughter marries a Warner, their daughter marries a Barnes, and their daughter marries my father!]

If anyone has family links to Christian Luckaes, I would love to hear from you!!

Jim Stallard (Barnes, Warner, May, Trowbridge, Luckaes?)
Attachments
1821LuckaesTrowbridgeDETAIL.jpg
Wedding Cert Detail
1821LuckaesTrowbridgeDETAIL.jpg (242.37 KiB) Viewed 2080 times
jimstallard

Re: Luckaes/Luckas/Lucas Sixpenny Handley, Dorset, 1820s-183

Postby gardener » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:03 pm

Hi

This is John's burial?
02 Oct 1832 John TROWBRIDGE 1 years Denlands

is it possible that his mother was recorded by her maiden name?

07 May 1834 Katharine LUCAS 35 years Denlands

(from http://www.opcdorset.org)

[fixed the link, sorry about that :-) ]
Last edited by gardener on Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby mallosa » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:05 pm

Is it just me gardener, that link isn't working?
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby jimstallard » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:19 pm

Thanks Gardener, I do have that, but again naming conventions seem to be a problem for me.
Katharine, when all other records have Catherine, and why revert to her maiden name for the burial? Was she divorced at death - no record of that?
Also, if this is her, John and Anne Frampton sure get re-hitched quick, and John is recorded as widower which wouldn't be the case if they were divorced.
It's a pity there are no ages of the marriage cert, but I think late 1700s early 1800s is a certainly good for her birth date.
Just looking for something to tie this together.
Thanks for your help.

Link is http://www.opcdorset.org (just take out the from) - an awesome site I revisit frequently as they are always updating the records.
jimstallard

Postby gardener » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:57 pm

I know that it is not a perfect fit :-) though Katharine or Catherine is a minor detail given the huge variations in spelling, and I did not see a Katharine Lucas elsewhere (not born or baptising children).

The witness Thomas Luckas, was he a church official or just a very popular person for a witness? Have you looked at his ancestry?
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby jimstallard » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:19 pm

gardener wrote:The witness Thomas Luckas, was he a church official or just a very popular person for a witness? Have you looked at his ancestry?

I have, and even Marther/Martha Dibben.
It's interesting how their families re-occur in records, but then again nothing in the records that specifically ties one family to another.
Thomas Luckas/Lucass/Lucas/Lucks (the professional witness and labourer) has no recorded ties with a Christian/Catherine...
jimstallard

Postby BC Wench » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:05 pm

Is this still a Brickwall, or have you solved it?

Unless otherwise advised this will be moved to the Brickwalls Archived section
within 24 hours
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Re: ARC TBC Luckaes/Luckas/Lucas Sixpenny Handley, Dorset,

Postby jimstallard » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:56 pm

Unfortunately it is still a brick wall.
I got very excited when I got a message to say there was a reply, oh well!
jimstallard

Re: ARC TBC Luckaes/Luckas/Lucas Sixpenny Handley, Dorset,

Postby BC Wench » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:21 pm

I'm so sorry for building up your hopes. :( Hope I haven't done it again by replying.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Re: Luckaes/Luckas/Lucas Sixpenny Handley, Dorset,

Postby jimstallard » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:01 pm

You're good, I figured it would be you telling me it got archived. (Which is fine btw).
All the best.
jimstallard

Return to Archived Brick Wall Posts