ARC TBC Bedford Bouverie connection

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, BC Wench

ARC TBC Bedford Bouverie connection

Postby Gary1937 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:53 pm

I am looking for advice/suggestions/guidance on how how to get over a brick wall! I do virtually all my research on line as being an 80 year old pensioner and my wife's full time carer, I cannot get to the various archives or pay a researcher.

I have in my possession a book written in 1894 titled The Knobel Family and Relationships, by J. B. Knobel.
(The Knobel, Bedford and Blake families are all linked).
The writer states the following:
Thomas Bedford, MP for Hertfordshire for 17 years (dates unknown to me) was ……by marriage with the Honourable Elizabeth Platt (sic?) Bouverie, daughter of the Hon. D.P. or G.P. Bouverie (probably Duncan Pleydell Bouverie for he had a son of that name, who was in Naval Service at the same time as a son of Thomas Bedford). Thomas Bedford and Elizabeth P Bouverie had several children, I know of the following but do not know the order of succession fully.
1. James Bedford, Iron Founder, Hertford and York.
2. William Bedford, born about 1764, died as a Vice-Admiral………………(NOTE: I have a good deal of information on him).
3. Revd George Bedford, Minister of Barnett, Hearts (sic) in 1830 and at Fryer-Barnett, Middlesex……..
4. Elizabeth Bedford, married Sir John Hellerd, MP. She was in 1838 Her Majesty the Queens attendant at Hyde Park. They had one daughter……..Elizabeth, who was companion and governess to Princess Sophia, and probably also to Amelia, youngest daughters of George III. In 1858 Thomas Bedford wrote to her at Albermarle St., Clerkenwell, London……..
5. Thomas Bedford, born London 29th October 1779. His Mother died when he was a child and his sister became housekeeper….He was sent to the Blue coat school. Afterwards Tommy was sent to Eton. Went to sea as a Middy (Midshipman) under his brother William……..he went to the Cape from the West Indies in 1804 and he and several others decided to leave the ship and remained behind when she sailed. (NOTE: He was my 2nd great grandfather. I have a good deal of information on his life in South Africa).

My major brick wall is to find the record for the marriage of THOMAS BEDFORD MP FOR HERTFORDSHIRE to THE HON ELIZABETH PLATT PLEYDELL BOUVERIE. Much of the other information he gives I have been unable to verify on line (and I think some of it is possibly inaccurate), although there is a lot about Thomas's brother, Admiral William Bedford.

Do any of you good people out there have any pointers/ideas/suggestions.
Gary1937

Re: Bedford Bouverie connection

Postby sp1 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:41 pm

See here:
http://www.berkshirehistory.com/articles/coleshill.html

You have probably seen this:
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=P_B ... ie&f=false

Have you looked at the various Burke publications ie Peerage, Landed Gentry, Etc - may need to look at various editions as some families do not appear in all editions
sp1

Re: Bedford Bouverie connection

Postby BC Wench » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:07 pm

Is this still a Brickwall, or have you solved it?

Unless otherwise advised this will be moved to the Brickwalls Archived section
within 24 hours
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Re: ARC TBC Bedford Bouverie connection

Postby Gary1937 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:18 pm

Still battling to solve it but hopefully will get there in the near future!!
Gary1937

Re: ARC TBC Bedford Bouverie connection

Postby BC Wench » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:11 pm

I will archive for now, but if you want it re-opened just let me know :wink:
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Return to Archived Brick Wall Posts