ARC TBC incorrect marriage record

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, BC Wench

ARC TBC incorrect marriage record

Postby kiwibrummie » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:02 am

There is a marriage record for William Barnsley & Elizabeth Downing at Rowley Regis & Burslem dated 23 Sep 1765 Wm. A Lee (officiating) Mary & Elizabeth James Witnesses.

I believe this to be incorrect.

There are no other records within the period (that I can find) identifying a 'William' Barnsley.
However, the baptism of Mary Barnsley is recorded seven months later on 13 April 1766 Parents Abraham & Elizabeth Barnsley.
Abraham & Elizabeth have other children and there are several death records of 'a child of Abraham Barnsley'.
Abraham appears as a witness to the marriage of Joseph Priest & Ann Barnsley 2 Jan 1764 and again for James Priest & Hannah Barnsley 19 Jul 1764. Elizabeth Downing was baptised 22 Jan 1744 but Abraham not until 22 Feb 1748 which makes him still a minor in that 1764/5 period.
I believe that Abraham married Elizabeth Downing as she was already pregnant and that the only 'William' was William A Lee.
As he was a minor, could there be a record Abraham's parents authorisation for him to marry?

Your opinions please!
kiwibrummie

Re: incorrect marriage record

Postby linell » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:44 am

The Marriage act of 1753 made it illegal for those under the age of 21 to Marry in England without the consent of their Parents. However unless this is recorded in the Parish Register I don't think you would find it recorded anywhere. It could have been a verbal consent. Boys could Marry aged 14 and Girls aged 12 with the said consent. The Baptism for Abraham Barnsley in 1748 does not necessarily mean he was Baptised as a Baby he could have been older.
linell

Postby MattFletcher » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:16 pm

William was often abbreviated Wm (with the m small and sometimes raised) so if a similar approach were taken for Abraham it could have been mistranscribed as William.

I've seen "Of Age" entered in the age column of a marriage so it's perfectly possible parental consent might have been recorded in the case of underage participants - however I haven't seen it.
MattFletcher

Postby gardener » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:01 pm

Is it worth checking the bishop's transcripts? Sometimes errors in the register were not duplicated in the transcripts (though sometimes they had errors of their own!)

I don't know exactly what the coverage is for RR but someone will know for sure.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:01 am

Northern Lass

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:34 am

William A Lea Curate 1763 then Thomas Bagnall in 1767 RR.
Northern Lass

Postby BC Wench » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:50 pm

Is this still a Brickwall, or have you solved it?

Unless otherwise advised this will be moved to the Brickwalls Archived section
within 24 hours
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Return to Archived Brick Wall Posts