Queries for Hope

Archived posts from the beginners section.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, peterd

Re: Queries for Hope

Postby Hope » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:29 pm

Antie Em wrote:I think I know why we can't find Luke Bolstridge - He is with parents Samuel and Clara in 1891. In 1881, Samuel is with his wife Selina and two children. There is a marriage for Samuel Bolstridge and Clara Cherry in 1883 in Aston and there is a birth for Luke Cherry in 1881. Ignore this for the moment Hope - don't want you to get sidetracked - we'll keep it for later.

Thanks Maggie this is where all Lukes in formation is held.
http://www.bolstridge.co.uk/genealogy/i ... e=Weblinks
Hope

Postby Hope » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:36 pm

Hope wrote:
Antie Em wrote:I think I know why we can't find Luke Bolstridge - He is with parents Samuel and Clara in 1891. In 1881, Samuel is with his wife Selina and two children. There is a marriage for Samuel Bolstridge and Clara Cherry in 1883 in Aston and there is a birth for Luke Cherry in 1881. Ignore this for the moment Hope - don't want you to get sidetracked - we'll keep it for later.

Thanks Maggie this is where all Lukes in formation is held.
http://www.bolstridge.co.uk/genealogy/i ... e=Weblinks

Just heard that a man has The Cox family tree on Genes reunited that goes back to 1550 all my relatives
Hope

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:17 pm

Antie Em wrote:Hello Hope

I have added a bit more to the tree now. What we really need for this branch of the family is the marriage certificate for Samuel and Elizabeth. Unfortunately, it took place at the Register Office, so it will cost £9.50. Let me know if you want to send for it and I'll tell you how.

Maggie

It will cost £9 from the local registry office at Dudley :wink:
Northern Lass

Postby Hope » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:50 pm

Northern Lass wrote:
Antie Em wrote:Hello Hope

I have added a bit more to the tree now. What we really need for this branch of the family is the marriage certificate for Samuel and Elizabeth. Unfortunately, it took place at the Register Office, so it will cost £9.50. Let me know if you want to send for it and I'll tell you how.

Maggie

It will cost £9 from the local registry office at Dudley :wink:

Have got it have emailed it to Antie Em x
Hope

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:56 pm

Maybe start getting yourself a family tree programme
or what happens is that the tree gets too large to copy from another source.
Speaking of which...always check the info out for yourself too.

You could get yourself a Tribal pages and go for the standard one which is not very
much cost wise...then import to a family tree maker when you can buy one.

But I really do recommend that you start with a tree maker first
and use Genes or Ancestry or Tribal with just the bare info to contact others.

I think you are on a roll now and seeing it helps you see which areas you want to ask
for help on next.

If you can get to your local library they should have ancestry you can use.

We can post census for you just ask.

:grin:
Northern Lass

Postby Antie Em » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:31 am

Good Morning Hope

I have added the marriage for Samuel and Elizabeth here : http://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/tr ... =212350426

We now need to look at the census for 1901 to find them, hopefully with their parents

From their marriage details, we know that Samuel's father is Enoch Lane and because we don't know yet when he was born, I have given him an approximate birth date of 1863 for the moment.

Elizabeth's father is James Thomas Taylor and I have given him an approximate date of birth of 1863.

Let me know which one you would like to do first and I will send you a copy of the census pages as we find them.

If you would like to practice on the sites you have already tried, you can try and firm up the births for Samuel Lane and Elizabeth Ellen Taylor

Samuel was born around 1885 in Langley and Elizabeth in Oldbury (according to the 1911 Census). So you can look for them on FreeBMD here : http://freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl. Although at that time Langley and Oldbury were in the county of Worcestershire, the registration district for births, deaths and marriages was West Bromwich, so you would find them in West Bromwich, Staffordshire.

On the local registration site which I mentioned to you here : http://www.westmidlandsbmd.org.uk/
which is more accurate, you should find them both registered in Oldbury.

Maggie
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby Hope » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:28 am

Antie Em wrote:Good Morning Hope

I have added the marriage for Samuel and Elizabeth here : http://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/tr ... =212350426

We now need to look at the census for 1901 to find them, hopefully with their parents

From their marriage details, we know that Samuel's father is Enoch Lane and because we don't know yet when he was born, I have given him an approximate birth date of 1863 for the moment.

Elizabeth's father is James Thomas Taylor and I have given him an approximate date of birth of 1863.

Let me know which one you would like to do first and I will send you a copy of the census pages as we find them.
Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Sep 1904 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lane Samuel W.Bromwich 6b 1410

If you would like to practice on the sites you have already tried, you can try and firm up the births for Samuel Lane and Elizabeth Ellen Taylor

Samuel was born around 1885 in Langley and Elizabeth in Oldbury (according to the 1911 Census). So you can look for them on FreeBMD here : http://freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl. Although at that time Langley and Oldbury were in the county of Worcestershire, the registration district for births, deaths and marriages was West Bromwich, so you would find them in West Bromwich, Staffordshire.

On the local registration site which I mentioned to you here : http://www.westmidlandsbmd.org.uk/

Maggie
Hope

Postby Hope » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:35 am

Hope wrote:

Maggie

Good Morning Maggie many thanks for all this help i hope i am typing ok as i cant see where i am typing and my page keeps jumping
t
his is the first bit of information you wanted Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

off to get the other bit x
Hope

Postby Hope » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:42 am

Hope wrote:
Hope wrote:

Maggie

Good Morning Maggie many thanks for all this help i hope i am typing ok as i cant see where i am typing and my page keeps jumping
t
his is the first bit of information you wanted Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

off to get the other bit x

If there are any vacancys on her to be a teacher can you please put my name forward lol getting good arnt i look how quick i got this x
West Midlands Marriage indexes for the years: 1904
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
LANE Samuel TAYLOR Elizabeth E West Bromwich Register Office Sandwell Register Office WBRO/41/1
Hope

Postby Antie Em » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:47 am

That's great Hope - you're doing well - can you now look for the births for Samuel Lane and Elizabeth Ellen Taylor

Maggie
Antie Em

Postby Hope » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:51 am

Antie Em wrote:That's great Hope - you're doing well - can you now look for the births for Samuel Lane and Elizabeth Ellen Taylor

Maggie

Hi Maggie found this one Births Jun 1884

Lane Samuel W. Bromwich 6b 819
But that would make grandad 35 on his death certificate it says 34
2nd Jan 1919 back 17 Feeder Street Smethwick x
Hope

Postby Antie Em » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:56 am

Hope wrote:
Antie Em wrote:That's great Hope - you're doing well - can you now look for the births for Samuel Lane and Elizabeth Ellen Taylor

Maggie

Don't worry too much about a year either side - it would depend on when he died and when his birth was registered. I think this is more than likely him. The local registers only go up to about 1896 for West Bromwich.
Antie Em

Postby Antie Em » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:57 am

Can you find Samuel and Elizabeth now - they will show up on the FreeBMD and West Midlands BMD
Antie Em

Postby Hope » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:01 am

Hope wrote:

Maggie

Having a problem with this one this is the only one i can find but that only makes her 13 when she had my dad x
Hope

Postby Antie Em » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:09 am

OK then - try this

We know from the census that Elizabeth Ellen Taylor was born around 1883 in Oldbury

In freeBMD :
Surname :Taylor
First name : Elizabeth (don't add the Ellen because it might be indexed just as E)
In the date range, search from 1880 to 1885 - this will give you a couple of years either side
In the Districts - highlight West Bromwich, this is where people from Oldbury were registered
Antie Em

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Posts