Queries for Hope

Archived posts from the beginners section.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, peterd

Re: Queries for Hope

Postby Hope » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:19 am

Antie Em wrote:OK then - try this

We know from the census that Elizabeth Ellen Taylor was born around 1883 in Oldbury

In freeBMD :
Surname :Taylor
First name : Elizabeth (don't add the Ellen because it might be indexed just as E)
In the date range, search from 1880 to 1885 - this will give you a couple of years either side
In the Districts - highlight West Bromwich, this is where people from Oldbury were registered

Surname Given Name District Volume Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Mar 1883
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAYLOR Elizabeth Ellen W.Bromwich 6b 814
Could it be this one that would make her 32 when she had my dad x
Hope

Postby Antie Em » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:22 am

Yes - that's more than likely the correct one

Now have a look at West Midlands BMD (the local one)

Search for Elizabeth Taylor in from 1882 to 1884 and see if you can find her in Oldbury
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby Hope » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:39 am

Antie Em wrote:Yes - that's more than likely the correct one

Now have a look at West Midlands BMD (the local one)

Search for Elizabeth Taylor in from 1882 to 1884 and see if you can find her in Oldbury

TAYLOR Elizabeth 1863 Stourbridge Dudley Register Office West Midlands STO/042/481
Only one in 1883 x
Hope

Postby Maths girl » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:45 am

Hope -- I find the jumping up and down you refer to when trying to type in occurs when the post is too long.

try clicking on Reply rather than quote --- or if you want to quote -- when you have pushed quote -- delete bits of the quote that are irrelevant (highlight them and push delete) -- I try to leave the words [quote] etc at the beginning and end so it can be seen who wrote the original.

HTH

Maths girl
Maths girl

Postby Antie Em » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:48 am

This is the one in 1883 on West Midlands BMD - this gives the local registration district as Oldbury, and so is more accurate than the West Bromwich one

http://www.westmidlandsbmd.org.uk/cgi/birthind.cgi

When you have a more common name like Taylor, you might need to do this because it narrows down your search. In this case, it's not so bad because of her second name, but if she was just called Elizabeth - then there would have been too many in West Bromwich

If you look on the tree now - you will see how I've recorded it. http://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/tr ... =915801606

You will need to do this whenever you can. It's important when you add to your tree that everone has some kind of proof attached, or you might want to get a birth certificate. If you click on this number OLD/67/240 on the screen it will show you a form you can print off to send for her birth certificate if you need it.

Have a go at the birth for Samuel Lane now
Antie Em

Postby Hope » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:55 am

Maths girl wrote:Hope -- I find the jumping up and down you refer to when trying to type in occurs when the post is too long.

try clicking on Reply rather than quote --- or if you want to quote -- when you have pushed quote -- delete bits of the quote that are irrelevant (highlight them and push delete) -- I try to leave the words
etc at the beginning and end so it can be seen who wrote the original.

HTH

Maths girl

Thanks for this good sound advice is it the one that says post reply in red as i filled in the box sent it but nothing came up cant see where it went x
Hope

Postby Hope » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:55 am

Has this one gone ok
Hope

Postby Hope » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:57 am

Yes that one went ok again thanks no jumping now and i can see what i am typing x
Hope

Postby Hope » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:04 am

Antie Em wrote:This is the one in 1883 on West Midlands BMD - this gives the local registration district as Oldbury, and so is more accurate than the West Bromwich one

http://www.westmidlandsbmd.org.uk/cgi/birthind.cgi

When you have a more common name like Taylor, you might need to do this because it narrows down your search. In this case, it's not so bad because of her second name, but if she was just called Elizabeth - then there would have been too many in West Bromwich

If you look on the tree now - you will see how I've recorded it. http://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/tr ... =915801606

You will need to do this whenever you can. It's important when you add to your tree that everone has some kind of proof attached, or you might want to get a birth certificate. If you click on this number OLD/67/240 on the screen it will show you a form you can print off to send for her birth certificate if you need it.

Have a go at the birth for Samuel Lane now

Wow its looking very good thanks so much got to go out now to hospital not sure when i will be back just hope i havent forgot where all my pages have gone lol x
Hope

Postby Hope » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:46 am

Good morning everyone.
Was panic stricken yesterday when i could not get on here really got the bug now and loving it.
This site has so many wonderful people on and i am going to have a word with Mr Norton to protect us and keep us all together and not go off line again lol.
Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Reference
LANE Samuel Oldbury Sandwell Register Office OLD/69/356
Hope

Postby Antie Em » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:29 am

That's great Hope.

I think the next thing is to find him on a census. We know his father is Enoch and that he was born in Langley

I know you don't have access to this, so I have found them for you in 1891, living in Titford Road, Langley

1891 : 66, Titford Road, Langley, Oldbury, Worcestershire
Enoch Lane, Head, 46, General Labourer, Born in Dudley, Worcs
Eliza Lane, Wife, 48, Born in Rowley Regis
Daniel Lane, Son, 18, Ironworker, Born in Langley
Mary Lane, Daur, 16, Born in Langley
John William Lane, Son, 14, File Cutter’s Apprentice, Born in Langley
Enoch Lane, Son, 12, Scholar, Born in Langley
Fanny Lane, Daur, 4, Scholar, Born in Langley
Samuel Lane, Son, 7, Scholar, Born in Langley

I will add this to your tree for you to see, but in the meantime, see if you can find a marriage for Enoch Lane and Eliza. Their eldest son Daniel is 18 here, which means he was born around 1873 - so search on West Midlands BMD before then. We don't have a surname yet for Eliza, so just search on for Enoch Lane and don't put anything in for Eliza's surname.

If you can't find them on West Midlands BMD, then try FreeBMD. Langley at this time was in the Parish of Christchurch in Quinton, which was in the Registration District of Stourbridge. Records for Christchurch Quinton are held at Birmingham.

See how you get on.

Maggie
Antie Em

Postby Maths girl » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:55 am

Maggie

You are doing a superb master class here for Hope --I am very impressed --

Just a thought - Hope will be able to have a go at looking up 1881 census for herself now you have got that far back as it is freely available on family search.

Maths girl
Maths girl

Postby Northern Lass » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:03 am

Maths girl wrote:Maggie

Just a thought - Hope will be able to have a go at looking up 1881 census for herself now you have got that far back as it is freely available on family search.

Maths girl

good idea MG

I forgot about that one

Good idea MG - I have to go swimming now - can you talk her through that one, when she comes back - haven't shown her family search yet. Didn't want to boggle her with too much information altogether.

Thanks - Maggie
Northern Lass

Postby Maths girl » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:15 am

Northern Lass wrote:
Maths girl wrote:Maggie

Maths girl

good idea MG

I forgot about that one

Good idea MG - I have to go swimming now - can you talk her through that one, when she comes back - haven't shown her family search yet. Didn't want to boggle her with too much information altogether.

Thanks - Maggie

This has confused me -- it is signed MAggie and has NL's picture ---are NL and Auntie Em the same person -- or is that a bug?
Maths girl

Postby Northern Lass » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:18 am

:lol:

Maggie can edit my post so she has put her note on mine
:wink:
Northern Lass

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Posts