*Arc TBC* - electoral roll question

Archived posts from the beginners section.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, peterd

*Arc TBC* - electoral roll question

Postby stormswift » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:20 pm

I have found what may be grandparents at different address over the years in the electoral rolls search @ midland historical data.org.
Namely @ the address I knew them at in the 1950 and '55 roll, I then looked to see where they were previously.
I have them both in '35 @6 swan terrace, witton rd
again in '39 @ gladstone st
and in the '45 roll 6 bk278 witton rd along with a 3rd person female same surname, but not a recognisable aunt? Mother perhaps?

Anyway question. What does 6 bk278 witton rd mean

Could it still be swan terrace? that would then have them moving out during the war just to the oposite side of aston hall only to come back again after.
stormswift

Re: electoral roll question

Postby sparkstopper » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:37 pm

It could mean: a). Living in the back half of 278 with
rear entrance only(Back to back houses). or
b). If Swan Terrace was at the side of
278 Witton Rd. They were at No. 6 house.
Semper Paratus:
sparkstopper

Postby stormswift » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:58 pm

Thx sparks, I still have not found the address :(

Is it worth trying to get to birmingham central library to see if they have any maps with enough detail of the area for the dates concerned?

Further to having them listed at 6 swan terrace in 1935 I have now got them on electoral rolls at the same place from 1920 through to '35
That conflicts with the certificates I have. I have a sons birth cert stating birthplace as 6 back 278 witton rd this in 1913, I know I dont have them in swan terrace at this date. There is then also the sons marriage cert from 1932 this also has 6 back 278 listed this time as place of residence at time of marriage. Finally I have the mothers death cert from 1961 contaning 6 back 278 as place of death.
Is it safe, therefore, to assume that the mother was residing at 6 back 278 from 1913 till her death in 1961. That must also mean then that it is also or was also known as swan terrace?
stormswift

Postby Maths girl » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:15 pm

stormswift wrote:Thx sparks, I still have not found the address :(

Is it worth trying to get to birmingham central library to see if they have any maps with enough detail of the area for the dates concerned?

Further to having them listed at 6 swan terrace in 1935 I have now got them on electoral rolls at the same place from 1920 through to '35
That conflicts with the certificates I have. I have a sons birth cert stating birthplace as 6 back 278 witton rd this in 1913, I know I dont have them in swan terrace at this date. There is then also the sons marriage cert from 1932 this also has 6 back 278 listed this time as place of residence at time of marriage. Finally I have the mothers death cert from 1961 contaning 6 back 278 as place of death.
Is it safe, therefore, to assume that the mother was residing at 6 back 278 from 1913 till her death in 1961. That must also mean then that it is also or was also known as swan terrace?

The birth place of a child might not be where the family is living --eg if the mother has gone to stay with her mother/a friend for the birth -- but the other certificates certainly suggest that they were living there and yes it could have had two names.

The library might well be able to help as had the record office as they often have old maps.
Maths girl

Postby stormswift » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:06 am

I'm aware that the birth cert [u]on its own[u] would prove nothing, but its highly unlikely that the son would go to the same address as per the marriage cert and then the mother years later to die?
Its only when I look at all 3 certs as a whole that im assuming its the place of residence, and therefore, possibly the same place has to names.

I can get to the library on Tuesday, so hopefully Ill get some light shed then, thx for your input
stormswift

Postby Antie Em » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:07 am

Is this completed now - can it be archived?
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Return to Archived Posts