*Arc TBC* -- Birth question

Archived posts from the beginners section.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, peterd

*Arc TBC* -- Birth question

Postby stormswift » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:02 pm

Still no word from relatives yet so I've decided to see if I can get anywhere without atm. Now I don't know any dates but do now aunt n uncles names. I only have an idea of grandfathers name not grandmothers but do know where they were living when I was a child.

Midlands historical data & Ancestry are both available free at the library, although they only allow 1 hrs access per day per person :(
A search of the electoral rolls on Mids history site gives me the name of grandparents in the '50 and '55 rolls.
Searches for the 6 aunts and uncles looking for a matching mothers maiden name.
I now possibly have the marriage found and so onto the grandmothers birth possibly on freebmd.
I'm unsure though of the grandfather. A death index for him in 1983 ( possible as I remember being around 20 when he died) gives a birth date of 21 may 1908.
I have possible a match on freebmd under biths for june 1908 in leek first name only though unfortunately no mothers maiden name.
I have another, first name and 2nd initial for Aston in birmingham. The same area as the birth for the grandmother. But the date is too late, dec 1911 reg'd

So how long did you have to register births at the turn of the century?
stormswift

Re: Birth question

Postby snoopysue » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:42 pm

I think you have a month or so. The date that's given, say april 1908 would be for the whole quarter, so april may june. If the child was born in march say - you might have a bmd date that is april! I don't know if there are a few cases when people forgot to register, and then did it later - I've not come across any.
I had a birth, suspiciously late after the death of the suspected father. I coulds see that if he was registered at the end of the quarter and the child was registered at the beginning, then there was nine months between. I sent of for the certificates and it turned out there was a year and two days between the events (and no father registered)!

Do you have ancestry available at your library? If so, it shouldn't be too long before the 1911 census is available. They have summeries at the moment which give the householder and how many males and females live in the house - but it's only down as Mr so and so, with no first name.
You could also post the details here and see if someone will do a look up.
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby stormswift » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:23 pm

Thx, had a look at findmypast. searched 1911 by name and dont see anything that stands out. But then I dont have much to go on.

As I waiting on relatives, I'm really just trying sites out to see what I can do and find out. I will then see how much research actually matches the facts I hopefully get presented with. Then hopefully I'll see I'm doing the right sort of thing else....... :lol:
stormswift

Postby snoopysue » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:41 pm

stormswift wrote:Thx, had a look at findmypast. searched 1911 by name and dont see anything that stands out. But then I dont have much to go on.

As I waiting on relatives, I'm really just trying sites out to see what I can do and find out. I will then see how much research actually matches the facts I hopefully get presented with. Then hopefully I'll see I'm doing the right sort of thing else....... :lol:

Find my past's pretty good - one thing I've noticed though is it isn't always very good if thing's have been mistranscribed - if you know the road, it's worth doing a search with that too!
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby Antie Em » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:10 am

Hello Stormswift - have you sorted this now - can I Archive this post?
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Return to Archived Posts