*Arc TBC* -- Research sites

Archived posts from the beginners section.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, peterd

*Arc TBC* -- Research sites

Postby westfamily » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:09 pm

As a newbie wanting to research family history, it seems there's a vast number of sites who'd like me to sign up to get information (ancestry.co.uk et al). Trying to read between the lines, it seems to me that these people will only confirm dates (of eg birth), but not actually provide copy of the certificate, which I must still order from elsewhere & which I need to see to keep going back in time. Is this assumption correct?

I've tried to find similar thread, but couldn't find one.

Many thanks for any input into this.
westfamily

Re: Research sites

Postby Maths girl » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:32 pm

Yes and no

depending on the site some will give you more or less access to actual pages of census forms and these can take you quite a way back if you strike lucky but if you want to see the birth certificates yes you will have to purchase them but obviously you need to know when the birth was etc to order them.

Depending upon where you live in comparison to any marrriages that you might want to look at they can often be seen at the local archives/record offices as can baptisms if your relations were baptised and you can find the right church.
Maths girl

Postby gardener » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:35 pm

It does depend on what period you are looking at, and where.

As Maths girl says, you can see actual images of census pages online for 1841/51/61/71781/91/01/11.

1837 onwards you have to buy birth, marriage or death certificates if you want to see them. For a marriage, if you know the church and can get to the appropriate archives, then you can look at the parish record which will be cheaper as you can take notes for free or copy the entry for a small charge (usually).

Once into the 20th century it is possible to get some information (age at death, mother's maiden name) online but for address or occupation you need to see the certificate itself.

Pre-1838 you have to rely on the church records. These are often transcribed and available online but to see the actual entry (which may have more information, but often doesn't) you usually need to see microfilm of the registers.

Mark is usually up to speed on what each company offers so if any do have original images I hope he (or any one)will correct me :-)
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby westfamily » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:13 pm

Thanks Maths Girl & Gardener, I thought that might be the case.
Looks like I've found something to while away the winter evenings now. And with a nice common surname to work with, I can see a few late nights coming up :o
Thanks again.
westfamily

Postby Antie Em » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:11 am

Hi Westfamily - is this now complete - Can I Archive?
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Return to Archived Posts