Electoral Rolls

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, peterd

Electoral Rolls

Postby linell » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:56 pm

Electoral rolls or registers
These are the lists of individuals who are entitled to vote and have registered themselves as such - they are never entirely complete because significant numbers of people do not register.

They are found from the mid-19th century onwards in increasing numbers and increasing bulk: their size grew rapidly as the franchise was widened. After 1885 most adult males are likely to be included, from the 1890s some women (who could vote in local elections but not parliamentary ones) and from 1918 most women over 30.

Finally, from 1928, virtually all adults could vote in all elections, and electoral registers are very large. However, they may not have survived, since their very size meant that they were often thrown away when they were no longer current, but local studies libraries and record offices should have collections. They are very helpful in listing the presence of individuals and their addresses, though other personal details are not given
linell

Re: Electoral Rolls

Postby trottie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:27 pm

How often where these Electoral Rolls taken, was if every 12 months or every 2/3 years
trottie

Postby linell » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:52 pm

They are updated everytime there is an Election, so every couple of years.

HTH from Linell.
linell

Postby Jimmy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:56 pm

I think they are taken every year.

http://www.worcester.gov.uk/index.php?id=2158
Just trying to do my bit for BCC, bringing families back together.
Jimmy

Postby trottie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:41 pm

Thank you for your helpful info :-)
trottie

Postby markwhale46 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:09 pm

I have notice that in one census (1851) I believe, I found an entry of one family member being listed at two different locations. Is this possible?
She was recorded as being an housemaid at one address.
markwhale46

Postby Antie Em » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:42 pm

markwhale46 wrote:I have notice that in one census (1851) I believe, I found an entry of one family member being listed at two different locations. Is this possible?
She was recorded as being an housemaid at one address.

Hello Mark

I've had this happen a couple of times. Someone turns up at your house on a Sunday afternoon and asks who slept there the night before. People give all of their children's names - even if they weren't there. If she was in service and spending time at her employer's address - she could possibly be recorded there as well. They didn't have the stringent checks on census records at that time
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby markwhale46 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:25 pm

They also forgot what age they were! Guess they didn't give a thought to those relatives who would be checking them out in the far distant future!
markwhale46

Return to Tips for Genealogical Research