History and Language in Oldbury, Worcestershire - Part Three

Our very own Roving Reporter Dennis revisits the Black Country to find out what's still there and what has changed.

Moderators: admin, mallosa

Re: History and Language in Oldbury, Worcestershire - Part T

Postby mallosa » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:12 pm

My mom used that phrase "Never in the reign of pig's pudding", and she was born in Oldbury Road, Rowley Regis
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby Dennis » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:22 pm

Interesting, San. I've just come across this Brummie site which has a lot that is also Black Country, including that one:

http://talklikeabrummieday.co.uk/

I note these listed there which I'd overlooked:

outdoor (off licence), pop (soft fizzy drink), "looking like something nobody owns", cob (bread roll), "as fat as a chunky pig", pumps (plimsolls), guzgogs (gooseberries), "to have the bag on” someone e.g. 'e 'ad the bag on me, (to fool or trick somebody, make them the victim of a joke or hoax).

When I gave the talk, somebody asked me about San Fairy Ann, meaning don't worry about it. It's French, Ça ne fait rien, "it doesn't matter". I presume it came in during WWI, but not specifically Midlands, I would guess.
Dennis

Postby Margarett » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:21 am

Mally! My Mum was born in Oldbury Road too!
Margarett

Postby mallosa » Mon May 15, 2017 11:55 pm

Please note!

Since the recent changeover, we seem to have aquired a lot of 'gobbledegook' within Dennis's initial post.
Please bear with us, we'll get it sorted asap

San
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Previous

Return to Our Den - Out and about