Black Country Ride No 10 - Quinton, Bearwood, West Smethwick

Our very own Roving Reporter Dennis revisits the Black Country to find out what's still there and what has changed.

Moderators: admin, mallosa

Re: Black Country Ride No 10 - Quinton, Bearwood, West Smeth

Postby Antie Em » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:42 pm

I think the dams in Norman Road were bad - this is part of the River Tame. My son fell into it while climbing trees. Came home covered in green slime and smelling to high heaven. Luckily it was a hot summer, so I just got the hosepipe on him in the back garden. I really was a very caring mom :-)

My sister had polio when she was about 3 - the doc thought it might have been from the outside drains. Luckily not bad enough to spend time in an iron lung, but she was in Hayley Green Hospital for months.
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby snoopysue » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:50 pm

Dennis wrote:Many thanks, Cousin Jan and for all your work, San. The trouble is now I'm starting to run out of places I've not done! :oops: I could make it more thematic than location-based, while still Black Country, I suppose e.g. schools, growing up, memorable events of different kinds. But then it would be less of a "ride". Of course a lot of other things happened while I was still based there but temporarily living somewhere else e.g. teaching in Paris for a year where I lived through the riots of May 1968. Exciting but not a Black Country Ride! Any thoughts, folks? Yes, I'd love to publish it one day.

What about something to do with a particular industry?
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby snoopysue » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:52 pm

Or a trip that follows a particular family as they moved from address to address - I know some of my lot seemed to have a new address each census. There must be loads on BCC.
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby Dennis » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:59 pm

Thank you for those suggestions, snoopysue. I could very easily do a piece about Accles & Pollock in Oldbury, for example. I also have old postcards which I've not yet used here, so I could certainly give a more historical spin to whatever the subject or location was. I do family history too, that might help!
Dennis

Postby MarkCDodd » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:16 am

A lot had been done on the traditional Black Country industries such as nail making and chain making. I would love to see someting on the Canals and Boat Builders, Boatmen and other related professions.

Another piece of history that seems to be ignored is Catholicism in the Black Country. It has always been subject to persecution and the Black Country has a huge influx of Irish Catholics as part of the industrial revolution. The Murphy Riots in particular are an important part of Black Country history.
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby Northern Lass » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:50 am

Dennis wrote:Thank you for those suggestions, snoopysue. I could very easily do a piece about Accles & Pollock in Oldbury, for example. I also have old postcards which I've not yet used here, so I could certainly give a more historical spin to whatever the subject or location was. I do family history too, that might help!

Hey like that one!
We could also run with who the people were in our POstcards and people section.
And you could let us know about the area they were from and what they did!

I think we need to do a Black Country Boat tour!
Northern Lass

Postby Antie Em » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:55 am

Dennis wrote:Thank you for those suggestions, snoopysue. I could very easily do a piece about Accles & Pollock in Oldbury, for example. I also have old postcards which I've not yet used here, so I could certainly give a more historical spin to whatever the subject or location was. I do family history too, that might help!

I worked at Accles's in the 1960's in the Accounts Office. I can remember Frankie Vaughen visiting to pick up his new fishing rods. My best mate's dad worked there for most of his life and used to take us when we were kids to the social club just down the road - and we had some great Christmas Partis - if you decide to do it Dennis, I can ask her if she has any photos.

Maggie
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby mallosa » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:34 am

I too like the Idea of a piece on Accles & Pollock

also Marks thoughts on Canals and Boat Builders/Boatmen
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby Dennis » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:12 pm

Many thanks for your further suggestions. Accles & Pollock would have the advantage of being personal to me - my Dad worked there all his life and I did two summers when I was a student. I have one or two photos. There was an excellent long-running in-house magazine, Apollo, which is presumably still in copyright. Yes, I remember Frankie Vaughan's connection with the firm. Catholicism and the Irish would be an interesting subject I know something about, Mark. But I think I'll start with Accles and see how it goes!
Dennis

Postby mallosa » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:24 pm

Brilliant Dennis! I'm sure some of our members (like Antie Em) would help if they have any photos too :wink:
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby mallosa » Tue May 16, 2017 12:01 am

Please note!

Since the recent changeover, we seem to have aquired a lot of 'gobbledegook' within Dennis's initial post.
Please bear with us, we'll get it sorted asap

San

mallosa

Previous

Return to Our Den - Out and about