*Archive?* south african immigrants

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

*Archive?* south african immigrants

Postby shoos » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi all,

only my second post so hope this this is the right place.

my 2nd great grandfather was a miner and spent some time in australia, where my gt grandmother was born, mining in broken hill.

I have found quite a few passenger lists for them, but there is a theory that they also went to south africa but returned as they did not lke the apartheid regime. they were married in 1885 and were in aus from at least 1888 to 1893 and the theory is that they may have tried SA before they ended up in oz.

long winded way of asking if anyone know of a site where incoming passenger lists to SA may be available?

I am a user of ancestry but they don't seem to have much covering this country.

all help much appreciated.

steve
shoos

Re: south african immigrants

Postby Northern Lass » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:54 am

moved to gen discussion :wink:
Northern Lass

Postby SRD » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:05 am

I can't help with the query but Apartheid wasn't introduced into South Africa until 1948. Throughout the nineteenth century (and more recently) most empire builders (be they British, Dutch, Portuguese, Japanese, Russian etc. etc.) generally treated the indigenous people as second class citizens at best so I don't suppose the treatment of Africans would have been any different to the treatment of the Aborigines.

If they were gold hunters they would probably have gone wherever the next big strike had been made, Africa, Australia, California, Klondike; wherever gold was struck people flooded there to try to make their fortunes.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby snoopysue » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:30 am

Apartheid may have officially have started in 1948, but racial segregation was about before that!
Black workers needed a pass to be able to travel and even though slavery was abolished in 1833 the slaves became "indentured workers" and were slaves in all but name! There was limited education, and some portions of the population were not granted the vote.
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby snoopysue » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:15 am

Just checked Find My Past, they do have a list of people leaving the UK, but it starts in 1890! If you would like me to check, you can post the deatils or send me a pm :-)
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby grangers14 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:51 am

Can this be archived?
Jo :)
grangers14

Return to Archived General Discussion