Tracing a name

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Re: Tracing a name

Postby Tea Time » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:59 pm

Jimmy: Mum took her Mums surname, which was Bailey.

Yes, I agree, it is like looking for a needle in a haystack, thats true. However, looking at the population for the area, a list created from the 1911 census will have roughly 5000 male names. This number can be reduced still further due to events such as WW1, the spanish flu epidemic, mining and other work related deaths. Still further by marriages prior to 1920. Therefore, it should be possible to eventually get down to a completely manageable list. :roll:

Of course, with no names on the birth certificate, I'll never be able to prove things, thats something else that I will agree with. It may sound odd, but I'm not really interested in proving anything. Just simply finding out the likliest name from my past, and leaving it at that. If that name then happens to turn up on someone elses family tree, which it may, so be it. I have already decided that I will not be making contact with any of his descendents, though they would be welcome to make contact with me if they should wish.
Tea Time

Postby Jimmy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:05 pm

Have you got your moms marriage cert.
Jimmy

Postby Tea Time » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:08 pm

I need to check to make certain, but yes, I think that I do.

Any particular reason for asking?
Tea Time

Postby Jimmy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:11 pm

Just in case it mentions a father's name on it.
Jimmy

Postby Tea Time » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:19 pm

I have it in front of me now, and there is no name on it. Thanks for the help.
Tea Time

Postby Antie Em » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:00 pm

Tea Time wrote:Jimmy: Mum took her Mums surname, which was Bailey.

Yes, I agree, it is like looking for a needle in a haystack, thats true. However, looking at the population for the area, a list created from the 1911 census will have roughly 5000 male names. This number can be reduced still further due to events such as WW1, the spanish flu epidemic, mining and other work related deaths. Still further by marriages prior to 1920. Therefore, it should be possible to eventually get down to a completely manageable list. :roll:

Of course, with no names on the birth certificate, I'll never be able to prove things, thats something else that I will agree with. It may sound odd, but I'm not really interested in proving anything. Just simply finding out the likliest name from my past, and leaving it at that. If that name then happens to turn up on someone elses family tree, which it may, so be it. I have already decided that I will not be making contact with any of his descendents, though they would be welcome to make contact with me if they should wish.

Even with the list from the 1911 census, you don't know if this man lived in the area or was passing through. At this time there was a massive immigration to areas where men were looking for work, so he might not even have been born or living in the area and of course there were men returning from the Boar war.

I always thought my dad's family was 100% welsh until I started tracing my family history and discovered that his father's family was actually from Clent in Worcestershire and had travelled to Wales in the early 1900's.

Good luck anyway with your search

Maggie
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby Tea Time » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:57 am

To misquote slightly....

"I choose to do this, not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to measure and organize the best of my energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we I am willing to accept, one I am unwilling to postpone, and one which I intend to win.”

:grin: :grin: :grin:
Tea Time

Postby linell » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:23 am

Tea Time wrote:I have it in front of me now, and there is no name on it. Thanks for the help.

That usually means they were illegitimate, is that what you thought :?:

Linell.
linell

Postby Tea Time » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:42 am

Its what I have always known, ever since I was a child.

Of all of my grandparents, this is the only one that I dont know anything about.
Tea Time

Postby Antie Em » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:52 am

Moving this to General Discussion
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby MarkOnslow » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:07 pm

Some great tips here - thanks for all your wisdom.
MarkOnslow

Postby Tea Time » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:43 am

I'm not getting my hopes up too much, but over the last 24 hours, I've managed to find out the village that the one I am looking for lived in, as well as the church he attended. Which with any luck, will cut down the number of names on the list considerably, and make things a lot easier.
Tea Time

Postby Tea Time » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:27 pm

A couple of days ago, I came up with a name. He was born in the correct area, died in the correct area, and then to cap it all, my real name - which is spelled in an unusual way - turned up on another family tree which was connected to him....after further research, it turned out to be wrong. Drat! The search continues.... :-)
Tea Time

Postby grangers14 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:43 pm

Is this completed?
Jo :)
grangers14

Re: *ARC TBC* Tracing a name

Postby Tea Time » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:56 pm

Not yet, but slow progress is being made.

Its going to make an interesting story...
Tea Time

Previous

Return to Archived General Discussion