****COMPLETED****HighGate Street Warwickshire England

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

****COMPLETED****HighGate Street Warwickshire England

Postby Paul-E » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:42 pm

I have found out (Kellys Directory of Birmingham) that my GGgrandad (Teall Robert Harvey) and GGgrandmother (Teall Lucy) ran a shop at 19 Highgate Street Warwickshire England from at least 1908 to 1921. I have been trying to locate a picture of Highgate Street in the early 1900's but as yet to no avail.
I have e-mailed archives.heritage at birmingham but the postcards/pictures they have are not indexed and it would require me to call in personnaly to do a search or maybe pay someone to do it for me! Unfortunately I live some distance away so for the time being cannot do a search myself, and my money situation at the moment does not allow me the extravagance of paying someone to search for me!

I have bought John Marks book of postcard pics of shops in Birmingham, and although very interesting, it does not have pics of Highgate Street.

I was wondering if anyone here might have or might be able to recommend a book or place that may have a picture of Highgate Street in the early to mid 1900's? A long shot I know but maybe just maybe there is one out there.

Thanks

Paul.
Last edited by Paul-E on Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul-E

Re: HighGate Street Warwickshire England

Postby Northern Lass » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:47 pm

Hi Paul moving this to General Discussion :grin:
Northern Lass

Postby Northern Lass » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:51 pm

Smethwick archives have a computer and you can search via area/locality
Dudley have an index system so you can search on an area or street
so would have thought B'ham would have something you could go straight to ... :(

What about phoning up a library near to where this street is and asking them to recommend a book?
Northern Lass

Postby Maths girl » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:20 pm

Have you tried the local paper? Either for a picture they posted or as a letter to see if there are any other descendents who have old photos of the area - there might be people who are not interested in family history etc but reading in a local paper would think of a photo in their cupboard which is just what you want
Maths girl

Postby Northern Lass » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:36 pm

Is this it?
bit later 1916 photo says

http://www.geocities.com/ken_bonham/walk02.html
Northern Lass

Postby Paul-E » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:59 pm

Looks promising NorthernLass thanks very much!

Gonna try the local paper and libraries too.

Thanks all
Paul-E

Postby Paul-E » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:22 pm

Sent E-mail to Sparkhill library to ask if they held anything on Highgate street.
There are two libraries quite close to Highgate street, Sparkhill being the closest so trying them first.
Paul
Paul-E

Return to Archived General Discussion