Another one of them Brick Walls

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Another one of them Brick Walls

Postby pacman_23 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:45 am

Can anyone help?
I am trying to seek information concerning my Grandfather from my Fathers side.
I know very little about him and do not know of anyone that I can ask to get the full picture, however this is what I know about him.
Full name as I am led to believe is George Smith, Birth (approx) 1897 - 98. Place of birth unknown.
Joined the army quite young around 17 and around 1914-15 this is a complete guess based on what I have and served in the WWI, which regiment I do not know however there is a story that he was wounded at some point during his service by a hand-grenade explosion.
He came back to England and on the 24/10/1920 he married my Grandmother Emily Slater at the Holy Trinity Church West Bromwich.
They went onto to have three children, Doris (B) Approx 1922, Vera (B) 1925, Enean (B) 1927 Denis George (B) 1934 (My Father).
The only other information is that he did have a job at Dudley Guest Hospital in the 60's as a porter.
He died 03/01/66.
I know that it will be like looking for a needle in a haystack but I am hopeful someone may be able to help.
pacman_23

Re: Another one of them Brick Walls

Postby linell » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:35 am

Hi Pacman, you need the Marriage Certificate for George and Emily Slater will give father's names, ages, addresses etc. Can't see it on Free BMD :?: There's one in 1926 to a Lilian Slater but not an Emily? Sorry from Linell.
linell

Postby Maths girl » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:03 am

Found this ref if you haven[t already got it

1920 SLATER Emily SMITH George West Bromwich, Holy Trinity Sandwell Register Office 25/9/115
Maths girl

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:12 am

Hi Pacman

Do you actually have that marriage doc? as you seem to have the details on the date etc
does it have the father one?

if not that marriage I can look up
:? but it may be a few weeks now as I have just been to Sandwell
or you can of course send off for it to the registry office at Sandwell or the GRO at southport and it will take a few days

:wink:
Northern Lass

Postby pacman_23 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:17 pm

Dear All,

Yes i do have the marriage cert and its states that teh Father of George Smith was Thomas Smith, however When George married he was deceased, Also that at teh time of marriage George was registred at teh Slater family home 15, Boulton Road Handsworth, I think my original question was wrong, you see with two common names like George and Thomas, also not knowing for certain when George was actually born and also where he was born i have hit a bit of a "Brick Wall". Once i have George's birth date and location of birth then i can progress a little futher with my quest, but as up to now i have come unstuck as, as far as i can see without those two key items i can progress no further, any ideas anyone?
pacman_23

Postby peterd » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:20 pm

who were the witnesses on the marriage cert ?
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby pacman_23 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:34 pm

Also forgot to mention that on George Smith's and Emily Slaters Marriage cert, it states that George was 22 and at the time 1920 he was an upholster, again can anyone help?

Witnesses at teh wedding where Joseph Dixon and Also Eliza Willetts, JD was in fact a Slater and went by the name of Dixon, it a long story so will not go into that.
pacman_23

Postby peterd » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:51 pm

so looking for a poss 3/4 year old george in 1901 with father thomas any takers ?
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

peterd

Postby Maths girl » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:22 pm

1901 4Court 2 Pinfold Bloxwich Walsall
Thomas Smith 25 Coal Miner
Ellen Smith 24
Thomas Smith 5
George Smith 3
Thomas Baugh 12 b-in-law

only one I can see with father Thomas although one or two living only with mothers so father unknown

MG
Maths girl

Postby peterd » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:34 pm

pacman is there any medals around of georges ?

peterd

Postby pacman_23 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:05 am

Many thanks for your message Maths Girl, another thing that i forgot to mention in my last email is that there is a rumor that George came from London, where in London i don't know, that's been my stumbling point. After saying this i cannot confirm this as there is no one to ask. The question is would pension records help i.e. would i be able to back track via this route?
pacman_23

Postby Maths girl » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:20 am

Just a thought

Have you got the birth/marriage certificates of your uncles/aunts as well as your father?

There is sometimes different information on older siblings certificates which can help eg different addresses/ occupations/spellings of names
Maths girl

Postby pacman_23 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:19 pm

Hi Maths Girl,

Just had a look at the certs and nothing unusal or new names comming up.
pacman_23

Postby peterd » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:46 pm

peterd wrote:pacman is there any medals around of georges ?

any photo of george in uniform ?

peterd

Return to Archived General Discussion