Completed: Newspaper look up (thanks)

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Completed: Newspaper look up (thanks)

Postby gardener » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:46 pm

Hi

Could anyone do me a favour and look at this?

R.-R. Worker In Double Fire Tragedy
... R.-R. Worker In Double Fire Tragedy of the two victims of the fire at Catfoot - lane, Lambley, caused by a petrol tank falling from a passing aircraft and striking the house, Melville George Adlington Pearman (20), was a draughtsman employed by Messrs ...

Published: Saturday 29 July 1944
Newspaper: Derby Daily Telegraph

This was widely reported and there is also mention of the inquest:

McLoughlin was standing and she received burns to her legs. All the injured were taken to Nottingham ..
... fire had burnt all the furniture in the dining-room. The N.F.S. were called and the fire was got under control. A second petrol tank was found in a field about 300 yards away. The inquest on the two victims was opened by the Nottingham City Coroner this ...

Published: Friday 28 July 1944
Newspaper: Nottingham Evening Post

I would like to know the name of the company where Melville worked, and is there any mention of him being in one of the Forces?

Thanks for any help.
Last edited by gardener on Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Re: Newspaper look up

Postby Tempest » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:52 pm

Hi gardener, happy to help. Although what a terrible tragedy. I've found four separate newspaper articles, I've only read two so far. No mention of him being in the Forces. You are right though Melville was a Draughtsman working for a company called Avoca on Mayfield Rd, Derby. The Childs father was a Cecil McLaughlin he was a Tobacco Worker. I thought I'd post this first but I'll carry on looking
Tempest

Postby Tempest » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:02 pm

In a later article November 1944 in the Nottingham Journal reports The King authorising a Commendation for Brave Conduct for the guy who rescued two people from the house. His name (if you don't already know) was Cyril Sneath....a real hero!

Let me know if you want any more details or names, if you don't already have them.
Tempest

Postby gardener » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:46 pm

Many thanks Tempest!

I think that is enough information for me. I'm typing up a personal history that my dad wrote, and he refers to this Melville Pearson as an "airforce lad" who was engaged to his sister. Dad knew nothing of him until the two families met for an engagement drink. And Dad supplied the surname and address where they were living at the time. The air force bit may well be wrong; Dad might have been thinking of another fiancé of hers.

Yes, it was obviously a horrible thing to happen. And in a small village where they probably felt vey safe.
gardener

Postby gardener » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:22 pm

Tempest wrote:Hi gardener, happy to help. Although what a terrible tragedy. I've found four separate newspaper articles, I've only read two so far. No mention of him being in the Forces. You are right though Melville was a Draughtsman working for a company called Avoca on Mayfield Rd, Derby. The Childs father was a Cecil McLaughlin he was a Tobacco Worker. I thought I'd post this first but I'll carry on looking

Sorry to pester you again!

I looked at what I can see without subscribing, and there is

... and employees of Messrs. Rolls-Royce Ltd. for the kind expressions sympathy and floral tributes in their great loss. Avoca, Mayfield-rd., Derby. IUf.EV. —Mr. and Mrs. G. Riley and daughter wish to thank all relatives and friends for the kind messages of ...

Published: Wednesday 09 August 1944
Newspaper: Derby Daily Telegraph

So I'm wondering if he worked at Rolls-Royce as a draughtsman - that would have been sort of air force connected I suppose? No idea what the Avoca bit is though
gardener

Re: Completed: Newspaper look up (thanks)

Postby Tempest » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:11 pm

Derby Evening Post dated 29th July 1944 and Nottingham Journal of 26 July report on the Inquest. Two aircraft had flown over the house, a third flying very low jettisoned his auxiliary fuel tank because he thought he had engine trouble. It confirms he was a Draughtsman working for Rolls Royce as you say. The Avoca thing seems to be the name of his sisters house. "Because of the distance from his home at Lambley to work, he lived with his sister Mrs J H Greaves at "Avoca" May-Field rd.".......it goes on to say " Pearman, born in Chesterfield, educated at Cotton College joined R-R aged 18" I can find no reference for him being in the RAF or that he had a girlfriend in the 7 separate articles I've read I'm afraid.
Tempest

Postby Tempest » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:22 pm

Gardener, bare with me, just doing something else,but have a possible link to the forces, his brother! I’ll get back to you
Tempest

Postby gardener » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:52 pm

Tempest wrote:...it goes on to say " Pearman, born in Chesterfield, educated at Cotton College joined R-R aged 18" I can find no reference for him being in the RAF or that he had a girlfriend in the 7 separate articles I've read I'm afraid.

Thanks so much for this. My aunt was in the list of mourners that was given in one newspaper: "The , mourners were: Mr. and Mrs. W. Pearman, Mr. C. McLoughlin, Mrs I. Pearman... Miss H Rose. Mrs. E. Bigham, Miss J. Bigham,. and Mr. D. McArthy."

Cotton College fits, he seems to have been there in 1939 so good to confirm that.

Please don't spend a lot of time on this... I'm just being curious about how accurate Dad's information is! So far he is holding up quite well :-) The engagement drinks party stuck in his mind because his parents didn't drink much at all, and he himself drank "port and beer" which sounds a very strange combination!
gardener

Postby Tempest » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:51 pm

OK just this one final thing as mentioned earlier, but just 2 days earlier it is reported Mr and Mrs G Riley of 7 Manor Rd, Derby were notified of the death of their son an A-B George Clement Riley of the Royal Navy died of his wounds, could this be the Forces connection you heard. What throws me is it says he was their eldest son aged 18, but Melville was 20? so could just be coincidence.

Glad to have been some help, god luck

Darryl
Tempest

Postby gardener » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:01 pm

Tempest wrote:OK just this one final thing as mentioned earlier, but just 2 days earlier it is reported Mr and Mrs G Riley of 7 Manor Rd, Derby were notified of the death of their son an A-B George Clement Riley of the Royal Navy died of his wounds, could this be the Forces connection you heard. What throws me is it says he was their eldest son aged 18, but Melville was 20? so could just be coincidence.

Glad to have been some help, god luck

Darryl

Is it possible that they are two separate announcements? "... and employees of Messrs. Rolls-Royce Ltd. for the kind expressions sympathy and floral tributes in their great loss. Avoca, Mayfield-rd., Derby. IUf.EV. —Mr. and Mrs. G. Riley and daughter wish to thank all relatives and friends for the kind messages of .."

I suspect that Dad was just mixing up fiancés. He seems only to have met this chap briefly before he was so tragically killed, so I will forgive him the confusion!

Thanks again
gardener

Postby Tempest » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:21 pm

if you want I could try and attach screenshots here if that would help. Or send then to an email address big you prefer?
Tempest

Postby gardener » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:41 pm

Tempest wrote:if you want I could try and attach screenshots here if that would help. Or send then to an email address big you prefer?

:-) sent you a PM
gardener

Postby Tempest » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:34 pm

:thumbup:
Tempest

Return to Archived General Discussion