*ARC TBC*Looking for George Collingbourne b1803.

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

*ARC TBC*Looking for George Collingbourne b1803.

Postby Mrs.S2012 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:41 pm

So I'm stuck.. Again :roll:
I've got to my 3rd great grandfather on my dad's side. He was George Collingbourne b1803 in Gloucestershire (according to one of the census records.
He married Harriett Jones in 1840 in London, they were both widowed. They lived at 6 Salmon Lane in Limehouse, he was a milkman and his father according to the marriage record of him and Harriet was John, a farmer.
Records seem very scarce prior to 1840 and I can't find a census record or any birth or baptism records that I think might apply to him. Someone on ancestry did upload something about a baptism on 6 Feb 1803 with parents named as John and Amy.. So this could be him but I'm not sure. Ancestry and Find my past aren't really turning up much.. Where else can I look. I'm not sure at what point he came from Gloucestershire to London?
Any pointers welcomed!
Mrs.S2012

Re: Looking for George Collingbourne b1803.

Postby gardener » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:46 am

Hi
There are almost no census before 1841. For some places you might find one from 1831 or even 1821, but they have a lot less information and very few have survived.

If you look at the 1851 entry for George, the birthplace clearly has a letter that continues down below the line ((totally forget the proper name for that!) and it is actually Badg(e)worth, Gloucestershire.

So you could start by searching using the surname and that place of birth.

Up pops a couple William and Elizabeth, surname spelling varies a bit:
William Collingham 35
Elizabeth Collingham 35
Mary Collingham 12
Henry Collingham 10

and Henry's baptism gives their address as Little Witcomb Badgworth, but he is baptised at Great Witcomb. Whereas Mary (Ann) was baptised at Badgworth.

Ancestry has a baptism record:
Name: William Collinburn
Event Type: Baptism
Baptism Date: 13 Oct 1799
Baptism Place: Badgeworth, Gloucestershire, England
Parish as it Appears: Badgeworth
Phillimore Ecclesiastical Parish Map:
View this parish
Father: John Collinburn
Mother: Amey Collinburn

and there is this record there too
Name: George Collin
Event Type: Baptism
Baptism Date: 6 Feb 1802
Baptism Place: Badgeworth , Gloucestershire , England
Phillimore Ecclesiastical Parish Map:
View this parish
Father: John Collin
Mother: Amey Collin

but if you look at the image then the surname is longer and almost certainly Collinbourn or something like that. And the year is 1803. So that seems to be a good fit for your George.

In general, once you are back beyond the census records then you have to rely on baptisms, marriages and burials. If you are lucky then you might find a will, even for quite poor people, and find the names of children or siblings. Unmarried great aunts can be wonderful if they mention all their relatives! There are also some other parish records, often sourced as the "parish chest". But I've never looked at those myself.

Be open minded about spelling and use * in searches. And look at the geography to see what parishes are nearby because rural people moved around and changed parish sometimes. And some also chose non-conformist places instead of the parish church. https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/GLS/Parishes#index1 is a very good site for parishes and stuff.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby Mrs.S2012 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:36 pm

This is incredibly helpful, thank you so much!
Mrs.S2012

Postby Mrs.S2012 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:03 pm

How did you manage to find these records?
I've found them.. now that I know that they are there but when I initally typed in records for Badgeworth, Gloucestershire I get all sorts of random names and dates, pages and pages.. but if I try to narrow it down it tells me no results found?
Mrs.S2012

Postby gardener » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:35 pm

I mostly did it using Ancestry's list of "connected"records. Once I had William in the 1841 census I clicked on his children's names and Henry's linked to his baptism. It is headed
"Henry Collingburn
in the Gloucestershire, England, Church of England Baptisms, 1813-1913"
and the lower line is "active", so if you click on it you get a new search window that is just for those records. Then you do a wide search on the surname (Collin*) but narrow down for the year range maybe. Or put in parents' first names if you know them, and hope to pick out all the children.

After a while you get used to scanning down a list, looking for something that fits - or looks odd!
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby Mrs.S2012 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:15 pm

Thank you, this is a huge help!
Mrs.S2012

Postby grangers14 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:58 pm

Is this Completed? Can we archive now?
grangers14

Return to Archived General Discussion