*ARC TBC* Can't find a marriage record??

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

*ARC TBC* Can't find a marriage record??

Postby Mrs.S2012 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:27 pm

Hello all,
I'm trying to find a marriage record for my great great great grandparents.
He was William Henry Fitzgerald born abt 1817 and She was Louisa Watson born abt 1823?
I can only find a marriage record for a William Henry and a Louisa Larring (or Darring) in 1840 which fits but pretty sure her maiden name was Watson as on all the birth records I have found for their children the mother's maiden name is listed as Watson. I can't find any birth records for any of them which list Larring or Darring as a surname.
Have looked on Ancestry, Findmypast and BMD and no joy?
Thank you all :-)
Mrs.S2012

Re: Can't find a marriage record??

Postby BC Wench » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:37 pm

????

On Ancestry

Marriage: 9 May 1840 St Dunstan and All Saints, Stepney, Middlesex
Henry Fitzgerald, Full Age, B, Cabinet Maker, 14 Bedford Square, John Fitzgerald, Cabinet Maker
Louisa Watson, Full Age, S, 18 Bedford Sq., Robert Watson, Labourer
Wit: Louisa Lackings or Sackings?, J H...... Paice?
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby Mrs.S2012 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:02 pm

Why can I not find this!!??
Thank you, now I know it's there I want to try and find it for myself so I know I can!
Mrs.S2012

Postby SRD » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:04 am

Try searching using Louisa's name in the main search box with William Henry as the spouse.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby Mrs.S2012 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:34 am

I did find it, in the end I had to type in the name of the church and it came up.

I wondered if you guys could take a look at 2 other marriage records for me... they are for my great, grt grt aunts and uncles and I'm trying to figure out if I have the right records.
First one took place in 1875 between a William Fitzgerald (b1852) and a Kate Lamb at St Johns, Tower Hamlet. Williams father is listed as Hary Fitzgerald although looking at the record I'm wondering if it could be Henry as his name is William Henry but he does seem to drop the William part. I cannot make out his occupation, in all previous census records he is listed as a painter.
Second one is between Elizabeth Susan Fitzgerald and John William Pearman on 14 June 1875 also at St Johns. Again her father's name looks like it could be Henry Fitzgerald but I cannot make out the occupation.. so don't know if it's him??
For comparison I looked at the marriage record between my great great parents Matthew Fitzgerald and Harriett Harding (Matthew being the sibling of William and Elizabeth) who married in 1877. I know that this marriage record is the correct one and it does list Henry Fitzgerald as his father but occupation looks different.. I think it says Painter but not sure?
Anyway I'm wondering if someone with better eyes then me and possibly better knowledge of occupations that existed in those days could have a look and offer their opinion as don't just want to assume I have the correct people?
Thank you so much!
Mrs.S2012

Postby gardener » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:03 pm

First one took place in 1875 between a William Fitzgerald (b1852) and a Kate Lamb at St Johns, Tower Hamlet. Williams father is listed as Hary Fitzgerald although looking at the record I'm wondering if it could be Henry as his name is William Henry but he does seem to drop the William part. I cannot make out his occupation, in all previous census records he is listed as a painter.
Second one is between Elizabeth Susan Fitzgerald and John William Pearman on 14 June 1875 also at St Johns. Again her father's name looks like it could be Henry Fitzgerald but I cannot make out the occupation.. so don't know if it's him??

I think these both say "Blind maker" for occupation of Henry.

For comparison I looked at the marriage record between my great great parents Matthew Fitzgerald and Harriett Harding (Matthew being the sibling of William and Elizabeth) who married in 1877. I know that this marriage record is the correct one and it does list Henry Fitzgerald as his father but occupation looks different.. I think it says Painter but not sure?

Matthew's father's occupation certainly looks like Painter to me.

There is also the marriage for Charles:
Name: Charles Fitzgerald
Marriage Age: 21
Record Type: Marriage
Birth Date: abt 1864
Marriage Date: 23 Mar 1885
Marriage Place: Christ Church, Jamaica Street, Tower Hamlets, England
Father: Henry Fitzgerald
Spouse: Mary Ann Legg

Henry Fitzgerald (deceased) is said to have been a "Venetian blind maker"

Hope that helps :-)
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby gardener » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:16 pm

There is also this baptism:

Name: Emma Fitzgerald
Record Type: Baptism
Baptism Date: 10 Nov 1843
Baptism Place: Christ Church, Watney Street, Tower Hamlets, England
Father: William Henry Fitzgerald
Mother: Louisa Fitzgerald

and William Henry's occupation is "Blind painter"

whereas John's just has William Henry as a "Painter"

Name: John Fitzgerald
Record Type: Baptism
Baptism Date: 5 Aug 1849
Baptism Place: Christ Church, Watney Street, Tower Hamlets, England
Father: William Henry Fitzgerald
Mother: Louisa Fitzgerald
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby Mrs.S2012 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:15 pm

Aah that's very helpful, he has appeared as a 'Venetian Blind Painter' in some other records so 'Blind Maker' would make sense!
Mrs.S2012

Postby grangers14 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:08 pm

Is this completed?
grangers14

Return to Archived General Discussion