How to Record Name Changes

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

How to Record Name Changes

Postby Irene » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:36 pm

Hello Everyone
I have a unique problem which I am sure one of your experts can help me with. I have family members that were born with one name, census and marriage records show a different spelling and then it changes again 10 years later (all these were a similar spelling of a name that is pronounced differently from each other). BAUGHAM then to BANGHAM then to BINGHAM. Plus I have two relatives that changed their name completely so their family line has a completely different name. How do I record this in my family tree or even my own database. I want to make sure that it shows that these people are all associated. All of this happened in England. Thank you I look forward to your answers.
Irene

Re: How to Record Name Changes

Postby Northern Lass » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:22 pm

We have this with the Black country Connections tree on loads of surnames.
In that tree for ease of searching we use one variant eg Tibbetts not Tibbutts or Tibbels etc
as to search on those variants when we are all inputting would be horrendous.
We then put in the notes words to the effect of spelt Tibbells at this time but changed to Tibbetts to keep to one variant.

But on my own tree I record as the name is registered in civil regis records or bapts. The census is just annoying!
So it then shows the development of the name for what ever reason which is interesting.
So I would tend to show in an individual tree the name as it is "misspelt"

So your choice I think
Northern Lass

Re: How to Record Name Changes

Postby Irene » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:08 pm

Thank you for your insight. I will keep that in mind.
Irene

Return to Archived General Discussion