Find My Past military Records & Chelsea Pensioner - Besznak.

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Find My Past military Records & Chelsea Pensioner - Besznak.

Postby AndrewA » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:02 pm

I have a Stephen Besznak born 1831 who was born in Austria/Hungry and proberbly Anglicized his first name. FMP have all the military records including the Chelsea Pensioner records of this man who served in the British Army. I would love to know the details of these records.

Now I will tell you why. My father had a step father with surname Besznak, the story goes he was Polish and came over to UK at start of the Second World War. This was taken as fact, until today that is, when I was presented with a whole load of certificates, including his birth certificates.

Quite surprisingly it turns out he was born in England, and so were his parents. This left a number of questions and possible explications, however upon finding an entry in FMP for a Stephen Besznak, the grandfather, born in Austria- Hungary and serving in British army, this would explain as to how this unusual name came to be established in the UK.

Why my grandmother told the story about being a Polish immigrant, well we will never know.

Thanks
Hit a Brickwall? Have you lost all trace of someone? Do not despair, simply make a note they were abducted by aliens! Don't believe in aliens? No problem, just write them off as having disapeared in a time portal
AndrewA

Re: Find My Past military Records & Chelsea Pensioner - Besz

Postby BC Wench » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:59 am

I've sent you a pm Andrew.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby grangers14 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:26 pm

Can this be archived now Andrew?
Jo :)
grangers14

Postby AndrewA » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:36 pm

Yes, I have got to the bottom of this. He was born Istavan but used Anglicized name of Stephen after emigrating to England, reasons why no idea, but upheaval just after the Crimean war could have had some bearing. Married Mary Alice Thomas before joining the british army. Discharged to ill health with the doctor noting that heavy drinking would have been a contributing factor. Ended up as Chelsea Pensioner.

The Besznak's are also very musical, with many taking up music as a profession, be it in Royal Marines or playing in Orchestras.

All the Besznak's living in the UK are descendants of Stephen.

Fredrick Besznak, my Fathers step father, was therefore second generation, being one of at least 7 siblings.

As for the family story with everyone thinking that Fredrick was a Polish immigrant, the answer is of course obvious , really it is! Marriage took place at start of the war, although he was as good as English, the name told another tale. Being of Hungarian decsent, that did not bode well living amongst patriotic zelot and paranoid British during the war, therefore the deception of claiming he was Polish not Hungarian came about.
Hit a Brickwall? Have you lost all trace of someone? Do not despair, simply make a note they were abducted by aliens! Don't believe in aliens? No problem, just write them off as having disapeared in a time portal
AndrewA

Return to Archived General Discussion