Blackman - Hambleden, Bucks

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Blackman - Hambleden, Bucks

Postby LizzieG » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:59 am

Hello everyone, This is my first post so I hope I have put it on the right Board. I could really do with some help with the Blackman branch of my family.
On the 1841 census my GGGG Grandparents Richard & Ann Blackman (spelt as Blachin on that census) were living at Pheasants, Hambleden, Buckinghamshire. Richard was 54 years - Ag Lab and Ann was 27 years. The only child recorded is Solomon 3 months. Richard Blackman died in 1849 in the workhouse at Henley in Oxfordshire.

On the 1851 census Ann Blackman is living at Little Frieth, Hambleden, Buckinghamshire. She was aged 38 years and it was recorded she was a 'Pauper - Soldiers Widow'. Her place of birth is recorded as Ireland. On the 1851 census Anne's children are listed as Solomon 10 years, William 7 years, John 4 years and Eliza 9 months. All the children were born in Hambleden, Bucks.

Given the age difference between Richard and Ann, I think it highly likely that Richard was married previously. I did receive info from another researcher that they thought Richard may have married an Ann Patey on 29/12/1811 at Caversham, Oxfordshire, that Ann later died and Richard remarried another Ann but I have yet to confirm this myself. I dont know where Richard was born or when he married his second wife Ann. Since Ann is recorded as a Pauper on the 1851 census, would there be any Poor Law records still in existence for the Hambleden area where she and her children may be recorded. I'm hoping it may give me some clues as to where Ann was born in Ireland and also give me some details on what life was like for Ann and her children during that time. Also as Richard died in the Henley Workhouse in 1849, do any records for that Workhouse still exist. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I just don't know where to go from here.

Thanks
Lizzie (from Australia)
LizzieG

Re: Blackman - Hambleden, Bucks

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:19 pm

HI Lizzie

Welcome to the forum :grin:

You are doing fine posting here
We use General Discussion section for any counties other than the Black Country Counties
The BC area has its own section if you scroll down.
So any from that area just post in there.

Sure we will all have a go at trying to help you

:wink:
Northern Lass

Postby mallosa » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:32 pm

I wonder if this link would be of any use to you Lizzie?

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html ... nley.shtml
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby LizzieG » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:19 pm

Sorry its taken me a while to post a reply to your messages but unfortunately after many, many years of surfing the net, my ole computer finally died last week so I've had to wait till I got back to work to get access to another computer. Thanks for your messages and for the link to the workhouse website which had a lot of useful and interesting info. I've checked out the Oxfordshire Record Office website that has indexes to a few records like Settlement Examinations. Apparently they also hold Admission and Discharge registers for Workhouses so I'll contact them to see if there is anything that may record Richard Blackman being in Henley Workhouse.

I don't know much about what parish records there may have been that recorded what poor relief was given to Paupers but I think I will contact the Buckinghamshire Record Office to check with them. Fingers crossed I may get lucky. I also just noted on the Buckinghamshire Family History Society website that they have a Poor Law Index on CD Rom so I'll contact them as well.

Did the Henley Workhouse in Oxfordshire have their own cemetery? Since Richard died there in 1849, I'm trying to find out if he also was buried there or in some other local cemetery.

LizzieG
LizzieG

Postby dianel » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:26 am

Poss. explanation for the disappearance of Ann Blackman after 1851:

There's a possible marriage of an Ann Blackman to a George Mascall in 1853, Henley, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire.

Then there's this:
1861 Spurgrove, Hambleden, Buckinghamshire
Hannah Mascall Head Widow 66 Ag Labs. Widow b. Berks., Bradfield
George Mascall Son Widr 38 Ag Labr. b. Bucks., Hambleden
William Mascall Grandson 10 Scholar b. Bucks., Hambleden
Ann Mascall Granddaur 12 Scholar b. Bucks., Hambleden
also
Jacob Mascall Lodger Un. 22 Ag. Labr. b. Bucks., Hambleden

1851 Little Frieth, Hambleden, Buckinghamshire
Entry 58
George Maskell Head Mar 27 Ag Labr. b. Bucks., Hambleden
Catharine Maskell Wife Mar 31 b. Bucks., Hambleden
John Maskell Son 5 Scholar b. Bucks., Hambleden
Ann Maskell Daur 3 b. Bucks., Hambleden
William Maskell Son 8 mo. b. Bucks., Hambleden

Anna Blackman & children are at Entry 53, Little Frieth!

Then there's a death:
Death:
NAME: Ann Maskell
DEATH: Mar 1860 - Henley, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire

Can't see an appropriate death for Catharine, though.
Some mistakes are too much fun
to only make once.
dianel

Postby LizzieG » Mon May 04, 2009 9:57 pm

Thanks for that info DianeL.

I had wondered what happened to Ann. I've just received some info from someone else who is researching the Blackmans and they also said that Ann remarried to George Maskell in 1853 and later died in 1860. They also said that Ann's youngest child (Eliza) died in the Henley Workhouse in 1852 so it looks like the family ended up there sometime in the early 1850's. I will definitely have to follow up the Henley Workhouse line of research and contact Oxfordshire Record Office to see what records for that Workhouse are still in existence.

Thanks again for all your help

Lizzie
LizzieG

Return to Archived General Discussion