Completed:George Seymour (super fast service)

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Completed:George Seymour (super fast service)

Postby gardener » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:18 pm

I would really appreciate it if someone could look at http://collections.ancestry.co.uk/searc ... lEngineers for me and see what it says about George Seymour.
There should be an image of his application and I would like to know what information it holds (was he recommended by others, does it say what work he did, give his address etc.)
Thanks a lot if you can do it for me :-) I think there is only one George Seymour on there but just in case, this one was associate 1879 and member 1889 (according to his obituary)
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Re: Completed:George Seymour (super fast service)

Postby mallosa » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:26 pm

George Seymour Jnr care of T? Sopworth Esq or Eng's of 6 Great George Street, Westminster, ...... being upwards of 25 yrs and being desirous of belonging to the Institution of Civil Engineers, I Recommend him from personal knowledge as in every respect worthy of that distinction because.....

(handwritten)
"from April 1867 to December 1868 he was assistant manager under the late W David Forbes, ? , at the Spanish Mineral Phosphate Company's Mines in Estremadura;
from 1868 to 72 he was employed in examining and reporting upon various mines in Spain, Iceland, and other Countries, from October 1872 to 75 he was a student at the Royal School of Mines, where he went through the usual course of study, and obtained the government Diploma as Associate of the school, and was the Merchison? Medallist in Geology for the year 1875; from January 1875 to May 1877 he was engaged in Cornwall in making a minute examination of the principle mines in that County and since May 1877 he has been in the office of Mr Thomas Sopwith (can't read next bit, could be another name?) as an assistant, employed in surveying and reporting upon mines in Spain, America and elsewhere"

Signed by Thomas Sopwith - 30th Jan 1879

FROM PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE
Henry Y D Scott?
J? Macdougall Smith
Edward Thomas :?
Robert Macey :?
Wellington Pu--don :?

Passed by the Council 25th February 1879 and signed by James Brunsley? (chairman)
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby gardener » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:40 pm

Thanks Mallosa... you didn´t see "completed"? :-)
I think Sopwith is such a lovely name.
gardener

Postby mallosa » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:48 pm

I'm sure it didn't say 'Completed' when I started typing it all out ( I must be slower than I thought) :?
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby gardener » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:06 pm

You must have started on Sat night :-)
Never mind, I appreciate every word.
x
gardener

Return to Archived General Discussion