Mary Degan

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Mary Degan

Postby Scratch And Patch » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:18 pm

I am reposting this topic because of new information obtained. As confirmed by Ontario Genealogy Society ( Brant County ), which is where Mary married William Dodman. To refresh your
memory William was b. 1821 Norfolk County, Snettisham, Eng. & passed 1875 Kent County, Zone Township, On., Canada. William & Mary were married in Brantford, Brant County, On.,
All Saints Church, 1841.

My new information is that Mary Degan was born in a very remote area of Northern On. This area is called the drainage basin for James Bay, which is where the Cree Nation lives. For Mary,
looking on a map of Northern On was born between the end of Drowning River at its Southern point & Little Drowning River at its Southern point. The closest village to this area is called
Nakina. Going North East of Nakina is Wababimige Lake & to the far West side of Little Drowning River is Jog Lake & Kenogami River. This area is so remote that, even on any map does not
show exactly what village or town Mary was born.

With this new information, can any more information be obtained. Such as birth date, home town, parents.

Thank You Very Much For Taking Time With This Post!!!

Jeff
Scratch And Patch

Re: Mary Degan

Postby gardener » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:55 pm

The only thing I can think of is to contact the same genealogical society and ask a few more questions, such as:

1. Are there any other records for Degan in that time/place - perhaps burial records for siblings/parents, other children born that you could try and pick up on.
2. I think you said that Mary was ethnically French - perhaps they can suggest what her father might have been doing in the area? Trapping? There can´t have been many reasons to be there.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby Scratch And Patch » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:15 pm

Eh Jo: Thanks for taking a look at this post. You just might be right about Mary's father being a trapper in this area. There certainly is not much else to do their other than fish, or be a logger!!!!!! Hunting would also be ideal!!!!!

I will contact Brant County, OGS, to see if they have anything else.

Thanks Again Jo :lol:

Jeff
Scratch And Patch

Postby grangers14 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:09 pm

Jeff it wasnt me is was gardener who helped you.
So thanks to gardener :grin:
Jo :)
grangers14

Postby Scratch And Patch » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:06 pm

Sorry about my mistake, gardener!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Jo!!!!! :oops:

Jeff
Scratch And Patch

Postby grangers14 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:26 am

:wink:
No worries :grin:
Jo :)
grangers14

Re: Mary Degan/Completed

Postby Scratch And Patch » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:25 pm

This post may be archived &/ or deleted. This is not my Mary.

Jeff
Scratch And Patch

Return to Archived General Discussion