dudley union workhouse

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

dudley union workhouse

Postby kimberlynn » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:45 pm

hello, could anyone tell me if there is a 1871 census online for Dudley union workhouse and would it give the inmates reason for being in there ? with thanks
kimberlynn

Re: dudley union workhouse

Postby Marchesgirl » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:34 pm

Hi Kimberlynn,

The 1871 census entry for Dudley Union Workhouse at Shaver's End, Sedgley is on Ancestry - if you don't have a subscription then you may well be able to access it free of charge at your local library or archives office. Also, Ancestry offer free access sometimes for limited periods of time. You could also post details of the person you're interested in on the Census Lookup page and someone would probably look them up for you.

Generally, the details given are the person's name, whether they are an employer or inmate, marital condition, age, their rank profession or occupation, and their birthplace. It should also state whether they have an infirmity (Deaf and Dumb, Blind, Lunatic or Imbecile, or Idiot) which may be the reason that they are in their.

Otherwise, I think you'd need to look at the Admission registers. Dudley Archives Service holds registers of Admissions and Discharges from 1839 - 1929 but there are gaps in the sequence. Unfortunately, Dudley Archives is offering a much reduced service until October and then (as far as I know) will be closed until January 2014 due to a relocation to new premises.

Hope this helps.

Marchesgirl
Marchesgirl

Return to Archived General Discussion