chartermaster

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

chartermaster

Postby BCB » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:46 pm

hello. does any one know what occupation a chartermaster had.
BCB

Re: chartermaster

Postby linell » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:53 pm

The actual mining of the coal and ironstone was undertaken by Charter Masters , specially qualified men with training and experience, often being the sons of charter masters . These were contracted with the landowners mining agents to supply the labour , horses , tools , candles , and explosives and also light beer to be sent down in small kegs at midday . They were not responsible for the winding plants and the sinking of the shafts . They were paid tonnage rates , the rates being obtained by weighing machines on the railway and by gauging of the canal boats . "
linell

Postby BCB » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:50 am

thank for the quick response.im new here, do i leave the answer for others to see or have it removed to the archives as compleled. ive see somewhere on the site i should do that. regards bcb.
BCB

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:53 am

BCB wrote:thank for the quick response.im new here, do i leave the answer for others to see or have it removed to the archives as compleled. ive see somewhere on the site i should do that. regards bcb.

Hi you can answer if you wish and if you are completed put

Completed with thanks on post and in subject title then others know you are ok and don't need any more info.
:wink:
Northern Lass

Return to Archived General Discussion