Completed with thanks: First names and diminutives?

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Completed with thanks: First names and diminutives?

Postby snoopysue » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:40 am

What could Polly be short for? Is it a common diminitive for a particular name?
The reason I ask is that I've recieved a photo from my Mum's cousin. He says it's his mum's Aunt Polly. But there were no Polly's on that side of the family, and the only marriage I can find that adds up is a Mary Ann. So I'm wondering if Mary Ann and Polly are the same person.
Last edited by snoopysue on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Re: First names and diminutives?

Postby Antie Em » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:40 am

Usually Mary or Mary Ann - well in my family anyway
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby Margarett » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:57 am

Lots of Mary Anns also known as Polly in my family too, but also some just named Polly, so it's not always a diminutive.
Margarett

Postby snoopysue » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:21 pm

Margarett wrote:Lots of Mary Anns also known as Polly in my family too, but also some just named Polly, so it's not always a diminutive.

I've got Polly's too, but in this case I have a photo with an Ida Shutt, and her mother at a family wedding. Thinking they were family I did a search and the only Ida Shutt that seemed to be right was the daughter of Mary Ann and Frederick Shutt. Looking for a wedding that might tie this in to my family, I found a BMD record for a wedding between a Frederick Shutt with Mary Ann Jeavons that matches the Census. Then my mum's cousin told me that he knew of Ida's mother as Mary Ann, so I wondered.
It strikes me as it's the same person, so now I'll send off for the marriage certificate.
Thanks for everyone's help!
Snoopysue

snoopysue

Re: Completed with thanks: First names and diminutives?

Postby SRD » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:15 am

A trawl through the internet threw up the following
http://wiki.name.com/en/Polly wrote:The name Polly is of English and Irish origin, a nickname for Mary and a variant of Molly. In the Middle Ages, it was common to exchange Ps for Ms in nicknames. Mary, or Molly, then, was changed to Polly in the same way Margaret and Meg were changed to Peggy or Peg.

Mary has been associated with a number of meanings, including "rebelliousness," and "wished for child." Wikipedia states that the Hebrew name Miriam, which led to the name Mary, is most likely an Egyptian name, perhaps derived in part from mry, meaning "beloved" or mr, meaning "love".
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Re: Completed with thanks: First names and diminutives?

Postby snoopysue » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:23 am

SRD wrote:A trawl through the internet threw up the following
http://wiki.name.com/en/Polly wrote:The name Polly is of English and Irish origin, a nickname for Mary and a variant of Molly. In the Middle Ages, it was common to exchange Ps for Ms in nicknames. Mary, or Molly, then, was changed to Polly in the same way Margaret and Meg were changed to Peggy or Peg.

Mary has been associated with a number of meanings, including "rebelliousness," and "wished for child." Wikipedia states that the Hebrew name Miriam, which led to the name Mary, is most likely an Egyptian name, perhaps derived in part from mry, meaning "beloved" or mr, meaning "love".

Thanks - interesting bit of info!
Snoopysue

snoopysue

Return to Archived General Discussion