Arc..............Births in Stafford Gaol?

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Arc..............Births in Stafford Gaol?

Postby normandmal » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:28 pm

Could anyone help please? I have not been able to find a birth certificate for my grandfather Thomas Pulley who was born in January 1884. I have been researching several avenues and have found that his mother Caroline Pulley, who was unmarried, was sentenced to imprisonment in Stafford Gaol in October 1883 for 6 months which would suggest my grandfather may have been born during this time in prison. Does anyone know if there are records of births in prison or infact where would birth have taken place
normandmal

Re: Births in Stafford Gaol?

Postby linell » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:38 pm

I have pictures and details of Caroline Pulley in a book, it says:-

Caroline Pulley appears twice in the album of Prisoners. She was a 39 year old repeat offender and sometime charwoman. Was arrested for the 11th time in Feb 1885. Following her arrest in Brierley Hill she stood trial at Stafford Quarter Sessions on the 13.2.1885.

The Calendar of Prisoners shows that Caroline was convicted of two charges, both for stealing coal. Previous convictions were for stealing Coal and Iron, and in one case an assualt on the Police. She was sentenced to 9 Calendar Months of Hard Labour at Stafford Gaol, a punishment she had already experienced on numerous occasions. Following this period she was placed under Police Supervision.

The Gaol's Admission Register records her details - Married with 7 children (so where were they in 1885, maybe with Relations? or in the Workhouse?) 5' 2 1/2" in height, brown hair, grey eyes, pale complexion and proper build. It is also recorded that she was born in Brockmoor Kingswinford and had a pock-marked face. She was discharged on the 12.11.1885. She may have been driven to stealing coal due to the time of year and the ragged state of her clothes.

Some further notes say she was caught stealing 60 lbs of Coal from a Boat on the Stourbridge Canal owned by Wm Pearson and another on the 28.12.1882, for which she was sentenced to 6 Months in Stafford Gaol.

As for your Thomas it doesn't look as though he was born in the Prison, he should be registered though after 1872 it was the Law of the Land to Register all Births, Deaths and Marriages, do you know of any other siblings?

Linell.
linell

Postby sparkstopper » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:15 pm

1871 Census: Brockmoor, Kingswinford.
John PULLEY hd. 50 Miner b.On board Ship.
Mary Ann PULLEY wife 47 b.Tipton.
Maria PULLEY dau.25 Clay Carrier bKingswinford.
CAROLINE PULLEY dau.20 Bank Girl b.Kingswinford.
John PULLEY son 19 Ironworker b.Kingswinford.
Martha PULLEY dau. 17 Clay Carrier b.Kingswinford.
John PULLEY son ? 5 b.Kingswinford.
Eliza PULLEY dau.2? b.Kingswinford.
Jeremiah PULLEY son? 1 mth. b.Kingswinford.

1881 Census: 42 Brick Kiln St. Dudley.
Caroline PULLEY hd. single 32 Housekeeper b.Kingswinford.
William PULLEY son 2 b.Kingswinford.

There is this record: which could be relevant..
1888 Christ Church, Quarry Bank.
Caroline PULLEY/William H.HOWELLS
DRO: 016/002/289

Thomas could reg: under Howells.
Semper Paratus:
sparkstopper

Postby queeny » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:27 pm

on the 1901 census living in brierly hill a william howells and caroline howell with children but there is a thomas bagley
born dudley 1884 and down as brother- inlaw just wonderd if this was him and soneone had made a mistake
queeny

Postby linell » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:29 pm

That's a good find Queeny, sounds a strong possibility.

Linell
linell

Postby normandmal » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:37 pm

First of all I'd like to thank you all for your help trying to 'track down' a possible birth certificate for my grandfather, Thomas.
I have a marriage certificate for my grandparents which recorded 'George Pulley deceased' as Thomas's father.
The Caroline Pulley (born abt 1871) who married William Howells in 1888 at Quarry Bank Church is actually a sister to my grandfather and daughter to my great grandmother, Caroline, and was only about 16 years old when she married. On the 1891 Census, this Caroline Howells and her family were living in Brierley Hill and other members of her family were also at her home - Sarah Jane Pulley (sister in law to Head of the House), Elsie Pulley (niece) and Thomas Bagley (brother in law). I'd noticed some time ago that there was a similarity to the information recorded on the Census of Thomas Bagley and my grandfather - both born about 1884, unmarried and a Coal Miner. The name 'Bagley' had cropped up earlier in the 1881 Census when I was looking for my great grandmother, Caroline. She was living in Harts Hill, Brierley Hill, and it looked like she was a housekeeper where the Head of the house was George Bagley. I was convinced that I'd found the missing link, so sent for the birth certificate of Thomas Bagley born Dudley in 1884 but his father was not George Bagley neither was his mother, named Caroline!!
normandmal

Postby normandmal » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:39 pm

Correction: It was the 1901 Census I found Thomas Bagley at the home of William and Caroline Howells and not the 1891, SORRY!!!
normandmal

Postby Northern Lass » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:05 am

Flagging to see if this is now completed as an old post.
unless advised in the next 24 hrs will move to archived.
Northern Lass

Return to Archived General Discussion