*TBC Archive 24 hrs*Going back before 1800

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

*TBC Archive 24 hrs*Going back before 1800

Postby tornadoelsen » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:15 am

Hi, I'm researching the Clode line of my family atm and I've successfully traced it accurately back to John Clode born 1775 in Sidbury, Devon. What do I do now, where can I find information to trace my ancestors even further back? Will there be parish records? How can I access them?

Your help is much appreciated

Jon
tornadoelsen

Re: Going back before 1800

Postby linell » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:30 am

Sorry Jon but have to ask how you managed to get back to 1775 without already checking the Parish Records? I check Parish Records for each and everyone of my Ancestors? To access Parish Records you will need to either visit the Archives in Devon, or they may be available to purchase on line, need to Google and find out what is available. You are lucky in the fact that Clode is an unusual name. You can try the on line National Archives Catalogue, for any documents or Wills etc. Also the Archives in Devon should have Poll Tax, Hearth Tax, Apprentice, Settlement Documents, Muster Rolls and Court Rolls. HTH from Linell.
linell

Postby tornadoelsen » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:27 pm

Got back to 1775 from the 1841 census and someone else's family tree which shared some people with mine. I'm using Ancestry.co.uk for all of this. I haven't had to check parish records up till now since the censuses combined with marriage and birth information has been fairly good. I've got a few lines that are more difficult.

Also, any ideas on what is the best way to trace people from overseas?

I have an ancestor Alfred Elsen that I need to trace and he is born in Sweden c.1855, father John Elsen.
Also, Do you know any good ways to trace back into Ireland, have two/three lines coming from there.

Thanks,
Jon

p.s. I'm still really new to this.
tornadoelsen

Postby linell » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:32 pm

Hi Jon, well you seem to be doing very well for someone who has not been researching for long. You can try joining one of these Rootsweb Lists, there is one for just about every place and every name:-http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/index/index.html

The IGI also has some Swedish Records, as for the Irish, I would definitely join an Irish List, not for the feint hearted, Irish Research that is. I have found information from odd places, like old Church Books and from searching the National Archives On Line Catalogue. Happy hunting and let us know how you get on. Best Wishes from Linell.
linell

Postby grangers14 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:49 pm

You could try FreeREG, I looked but didnt see your man at that date.
http://freereg.rootsweb.com/

also here tells you about Online Parish Clerks
http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/OPCproject.html

From the Sidbury Page "The Online Parish Clerk scheme's representative for this parish is Chris Graves, who invites queries and lookup requests. (Resources: Baptisms 1803-1907 & Burials 1813-1868.)"

Jo :)
grangers14

Postby tornadoelsen » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:50 am

Do baptism records have the mother and father with them? Thanks for all the help btw guys!
tornadoelsen

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:34 am

tornadoelsen wrote:Do baptism records have the mother and father with them? Thanks for all the help btw guys!

The records after 1813 have the mother father ( if named) occupation and place of abode
The earlier ones have mother father if named and whatever the vicar chose to write in the entry!

Still think it is an idea to verify others findings Jon.
:wink:
Northern Lass

Postby marie » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:04 pm

Have you used the LDS site very much? With a bit of cunning, it can help alot. I put some tips for using it in the beginner's section. ALso on their homepage www.familysearch.org there is a link to their prototype search under 'What's new' .
If you go to the Family Histroy Library catalog - they have several films available for loan and information about other sources about Sidbury. It appears that the Devon Family History Society produced a book in 2004 with indexes for the 1829 Census - that might be worth checking into. There are Parish registers and land tax assessments as well.
There are 19 Clodes in the batch that includes your John's christening. possible siblings for him are Saray Raymond (chr Sep 9 1798 - parents John Clode and Ann Raymond) and Arabella Cload ( chr Jan 12 1780). There are also several children for John Clode and Mary Chilper
Marie (GOONS 5318)
Bringing the world together, one surname at a time
http://pepler.tribalpages.com
http://cranberry.tribalpages.com
marie

Postby grangers14 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:37 pm

Is there anything else to add here?
If not will archive in 24 hrs.
Jo :)
grangers14

Re: *TBC Archive 24 hrs*Going back before 1800

Postby writer-ros » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:55 pm

Hi John

If you can't find what you're looking for online, it would be worth employing a local researcher. There's a list of them at the back of Family Tree Magazine or Family Tree Monthly.

Ros
writer-ros

Return to Archived General Discussion