Alma Chapple and Thomas Davies

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Alma Chapple and Thomas Davies

Postby tangobunny » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:08 pm

Alma was my Great Grandmother on my maternal Grandfathers side.......Alma was my Granddad John Francis Davies's mother.
She married Thomas Davies in 1909 in Pontypridd because she was pregnant with my granddad......and as far as the family knows she didn't stick it for long and threw Thomas out....I found Alma and my granddad John on a 1911 census,she was working as a housekeeper for a widower with 4 children.....I can follow the line back for her but Thomas is a complete mystery
I think he was born in 1886 and I know it was in Pontypridd in Glamorganshire....I can't find him on a 1911 census all I know is at some point he was a soldier in WW1....and he was killed in action,but I can't find him on any military records either...

I would be grateful if anyone can find him please
tangobunny

Re: Alma Chapple and Thomas Davies

Postby AndrewA » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:43 pm

Ancestry has a couple of public family trees with I assume your relations.
Alma CHAPPLE, married again in 1910 to Michael HEGARTHY and had 6 daughters
Kathleen 1912-1915, Nellie 1915-1995, Edith 1916-1958,Olwen 1920 -2007, Lillian 1923-1979 and Violet 1923-2007.

Here is the entry for marriage to Thomas Davies.

FreeBMD. England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index, 1837-1915
Name: Thomas Davies
Name: Alma Chapple
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1909
Registration district: Pontypridd
Inferred County: Glamorgan
Volume Number: 11a
Page Number: 679

You may want to send this off to get Thomas Date of Birth, then you can find out a bit more about him. The public tree has Thomas being killed at Flanders in 1918. Problem is there are dozens of Thomas Davies listed as being killed in 1918, so date of birth is good start point.
Hit a Brickwall? Have you lost all trace of someone? Do not despair, simply make a note they were abducted by aliens! Don't believe in aliens? No problem, just write them off as having disapeared in a time portal
AndrewA

Postby tangobunny » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:03 pm

Yes thanks I knew all that information and I know or knew all my grandfathers step brothers and sisters.....didn't know Thomas was killed in Flanders though
tangobunny

Postby AndrewA » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:11 pm

tangobunny wrote:Yes thanks I knew all that information and I know or knew all my grandfathers step brothers and sisters.....didn't know Thomas was killed in Flanders though

\Well I am only going what other people have put, I never 100% trust other peoples research, especailly when it just mentioned it without any documentation to support it.

Your next step is to find his exact date of birth, that will help with sorting through the military records, with so many DAVIES there. Send of for a marriage certificate using the above data. jsut £10 from home office. http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
Hit a Brickwall? Have you lost all trace of someone? Do not despair, simply make a note they were abducted by aliens! Don't believe in aliens? No problem, just write them off as having disapeared in a time portal
AndrewA

Postby tangobunny » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:08 am

OK thanks very much for your help....looks like that's what I'll have to do
tangobunny

Return to Archived General Discussion