COMPLETED - Samuel Arthur Baker (b.1854)

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

COMPLETED - Samuel Arthur Baker (b.1854)

Postby descartes46 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:25 pm

Hi guys,

Sorry to trouble you all twice in one week but I'm still not understanding the Warwickshire-Worcestershire geography or country boundaries?

I have an ancestor Samuel Arthur Baker (b.1854).
Here are his details:

1854 Birth Claines, Worcestershire, England
1854 31 Dec ChristeningClaines, Worcester, EnglandArthur Samuel Baker
1861 Age: 7 ResidenceTipton, Staffordshire, England
1871 Age: 17 ResidenceTything of Whistones, Worcestershire, England. Occupation: Pavior (paver)

I can't find him again after 1871 but I have found a death record for an Arthur Samuel Baker but it's for Warwickshire rather than Worcestershire? :

Arthur Samuel Baker Estimated Birth Year: abt 1855 Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1891 Age at Death: 36 Registration district: Birmingham Inferred County: Warwickshire Volume: 6d Page: 159

Could this still be the right guy? I wanted to check with the experts before I ordered the certificate.
Thanks,
Darren
Last edited by descartes46 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
descartes46

Location: University of Wales, Newport. Caerleon Campus, Wales.

Re: Samuel Arthur Baker (b.1854)

Postby MarkCDodd » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:00 pm

The county of death is wherever he took his last breath.

Quite a few Staffordshire and Worcestershire people die at work, which may be in the industrial areas of Birmingham, or in one of the larger hospitals, once again in Birmingham.

So it is very common and it the correct person.

A registration district may also span several counties.

For instance any Oldbury relatives you have are living in Worcestershire but their registration district is West Bromwich, Staffordshire.

Then you totally get stuffed up places like Halesowen which can be Shropshire, Worcestershire or Staffordshire depending on the year and which way the wind is blowing.
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Re: Samuel Arthur Baker (b.1854)

Postby descartes46 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:37 pm

MarkCDodd wrote:The county of death is wherever he took his last breath.

Quite a few Staffordshire and Worcestershire people die at work, which may be in the industrial areas of Birmingham, or in one of the larger hospitals, once again in Birmingham.

So it is very common and it the correct person.

A registration district may also span several counties.

For instance any Oldbury relatives you have are living in Worcestershire but their registration district is West Bromwich, Staffordshire.

Then you totally get stuffed up places like Halesowen which can be Shropshire, Worcestershire or Staffordshire depending on the year and which way the wind is blowing.

Hi Mark, ah that's interesting. It seems there is no hard and fast rule for these things then! Thanks again.

Darren
descartes46

Location: University of Wales, Newport. Caerleon Campus, Wales.

Return to Archived General Discussion