Death registration

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Death registration

Postby Pattiw » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:52 pm

Does anyone know whether when a death was registered in the years between 1901 and 1911, if it was a married woman, her marriage certificate would have been asked for and would they have wanted birth certificate. I'm having a problem locating the death of my great grandmother. I have also had a problem locating a marriage record for her & my great grandfather. She was registered on 1899 & 1901 censuses with her 'husband' 's name but I think maybe they didn't marry. In this case, her death would probably have been registered in her own name if proof of marriage had been asked for and not produced. Can anyone help please?
Pattiw

Re: Death registration

Postby Northern Lass » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:21 pm

can you give us the names and area we are looking at pls :grin:
Northern Lass

Postby Antie Em » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:48 pm

Pattiw wrote:Does anyone know whether when a death was registered in the years between 1901 and 1911, if it was a married woman, her marriage certificate would have been asked for and would they have wanted birth certificate. I'm having a problem locating the death of my great grandmother. I have also had a problem locating a marriage record for her & my great grandfather. She was registered on 1899 & 1901 censuses with her 'husband' 's name but I think maybe they didn't marry. In this case, her death would probably have been registered in her own name if proof of marriage had been asked for and not produced. Can anyone help please?

I wouldn't have thought so Patti - from the certificates I've see from around that time - the birth information was well out. Lots of people who died 1901 - 1911 wouldn't even have had a birth certificate.
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby Pattiw » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:21 pm

Northern Lass wrote:can you give us the names and area we are looking at pls :grin:

Hello Northern Lass. The name on the two censuses is Sarah Johnson, 'married' maybe to James Johnson. She must have died between June 1901 and April 1911. I assume in Birmingham as that's where they lived. According to the census returns she was born around 1866/67 in Dudley/Worcestershire/Warwickshire. I thought I'd found her death entry March 1908 - Sarah Jane Johnson 6D 133 but it's not her. I'd be grateful for any help. I have also been unable to find her birth entry. She was my grandmother's mother and her name on my grandmother's birth cert is Sarah Amos. So that's really all I know about her Sara Amos born around 1866/7 in Dudley - Warks or Worcs. There was some talk that she could have been Jewish and my great grandfather was a Catholic. Sarah and Amos could both be Jewish names but then they could also be Black Country I think.I haven't been able to find a marriage record either. There's a good chance that they didn't marry. I was told her family opposed the relationship. If they did marry I assume it would have been a civil ceremony. Thanks in advanced. Hope this isn't too garbled :)
Pattiw

Postby Pattiw » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:22 pm

Antie Em wrote:
Pattiw wrote:Does anyone know whether when a death was registered in the years between 1901 and 1911, if it was a married woman, her marriage certificate would have been asked for and would they have wanted birth certificate. I'm having a problem locating the death of my great grandmother. I have also had a problem locating a marriage record for her & my great grandfather. She was registered on 1899 & 1901 censuses with her 'husband' 's name but I think maybe they didn't marry. In this case, her death would probably have been registered in her own name if proof of marriage had been asked for and not produced. Can anyone help please?

I wouldn't have thought so Patti - from the certificates I've see from around that time - the birth information was well out. Lots of people who died 1901 - 1911 wouldn't even have had a birth certificate.

Thank you.
Pattiw

Postby peterd » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:04 pm

poss

Marriages Jun 1889

Crumpton Sarah Ann Stourbridge 6c 225
Johnson James Stourbridge 6c 225
Johnson Jane Stourbridge 6c 225
WILLIAMS Benjamin Stourbridge 6c 225
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby gardener » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:26 pm

I'm not sure I'm looking at the right people... probably not

is that James as a widower in 1911 with daughter Florence Elizabeth aged 10?

If so then her birth might be this one

Births Jun 1901
Johnson Florence Elizabeth Aston 6d 228

and perhaps her mother dying

Deaths Jun 1901
Johnson Sarah 45 Aston 6d 235

Added: though that age would not fit would it :?:
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby peterd » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:20 pm

gardener wrote:I'm not sure I'm looking at the right people... probably not

Births Jun 1901

Deaths Jun 1901

that death 1901 would fit

According to the census returns she was born around 1866/67 in Dudley/Worcestershire/Warwickshire

poss died in child birth ?
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby Pattiw » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:18 pm

Births Jun 1901

Deaths Jun 1901

Yes that is the right family Gardener. But as you say the 1901 death wouldn't fit as her age on 1901 census is 34. I seem to remember hearing that she lived on for a while after Florence's birth. Thanks for your help.
Pattiw

Postby Pattiw » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:21 pm

peterd wrote:

Births Jun 1901

Deaths Jun 1901

that death 1901 would fit

According to the census returns she was born around 1866/67 in Dudley/Worcestershire/Warwickshire

poss died in child birth ?

Thank you for your input but her age on 1901 census is 34 and I'm pretty sure she didn't die in childbirth.
Pattiw

Postby gardener » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:30 pm

Then there is this one

Deaths Dec 1910
Johnson Sarah 48 Aston 6d 146a

If you go to FreeBMD and click to see the image she is actually down as aged 42. Which could be pretty close if she was 34 in 1901.
gardener

Postby Pattiw » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:04 am

gardener wrote:Then there is this one

Deaths Dec 1910
Johnson Sarah 48 Aston 6d 146a

If you go to FreeBMD and click to see the image she is actually down as aged 42. Which could be pretty close if she was 34 in 1901.

That could well be her! Thanks a lot for that. I think I'll risk it and send off for that cert. That kind of fits with what I'd heard. Because I seem to remember being told that Florence was about 10 when Sarah died. Now I just need to find a birth record for he. Thanks for your help :)
Pattiw

Postby gardener » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:09 pm

Hope it turns out to be the one you want.
I don't know where you ordered the last certificate but Birmingham seem to offer a very helpful service and try to only issue certificates that match your requirements.
http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cs/Satelli ... %2FWrapper
gardener

Postby Pattiw » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:19 pm

gardener wrote:Hope it turns out to be the one you want.
I don't know where you ordered the last certificate but Birmingham seem to offer a very helpful service and try to only issue certificates that match your requirements.
http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cs/Satelli ... %2FWrapper

I ordered the last one from th GRO. I'll give that a try. Many thanks.
Pattiw

Return to Archived General Discussion