Completed, thanks:George Seymour

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Re: If you are bored...George Seymour

Postby gardener » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:02 pm

You are brilliant!!!
That is fantastic Mark (or should that be "You are fantastic Mark"?)

Really, I think you have probably cracked it. So this is George's marriage

Marriages Sep 1881

Scott Laura Selina Kensington 1a 118
Seymour George Kensington 1a 118

I may just have to get that certificate to see what it says for father of the groom. Long time (years) since I bought a certificate so I think I can indulge myself for once.

That Henry Young Darracott Scott was involved in the Royal Albert hall and South Kensington Museum building. His obit http://www.icevirtuallibrary.com/docser ... 152A9FCC06 is rather sad because he seems to have the got push from work and then he died.

And if George was the one you found in the 1851 census maybe his parents died the following year

Deaths Jun 1852

RECKITT Anne Matilda Boston 7a 249

Deaths Sep 1852
Reckitt William Boston 7a 239

Huge thanks for this help Mark :grin:
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby gardener » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:18 pm

MarkCDodd wrote:I would say finding out which "School Of Mines" he went to would be the best place to start looking for George.

Meant to say, this was the Royal School of Mines which is now part of Imperial College, London. From asking about another student there I know that they do have records but not including family details, just registration date and courses etc.

This George Seymour became the first president of the Institute of Mining and Metallurgy which you would have thought might have had a passing interest in their own history, but apparently not as all they could do was confirm that he was indeed the president!
gardener

Postby gardener » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:39 pm

And these are the Reckitt siblings (kids of Thomas and Deborah) http://www.family-maw.co.uk/getperson.p ... 1&tree=Maw

1. Reckitt, Sarah Ann, b. 15 Jun 1810, Spalding, , Lincolnshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location, d. Yes, date unknown
2. Reckitt, Catharine, b. 16 Jul 1811, Spalding, , Lincolnshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location, d. 20 Aug 1821, Spalding, , Lincolnshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location – Age: 10 years
3. Reckitt, Charlotte, b. 24 Aug 1812, Spalding, , Lincolnshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location, d. Yes, date unknown
4. Reckitt, William, b. 11 Apr 1814, Spalding, , Lincolnshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location, d. Yes, date unknown
5. Reckitt, Henry Burtt, b. 2 Jul 1815, Spalding, , Lincolnshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location, d. Yes, date unknown
6. Reckitt, Thomas, b. 21 Sep 1816, Spalding, , Lincolnshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location, d. Yes, date unknown
7. Reckitt, Maria, b. 17 Aug 1817, Spalding, , Lincolnshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location, d. Oct 1817, Spalding, , Lincolnshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location – Age: 0 years
8. Reckitt, Hannah, b. 17 Aug 1817, Spalding, , Lincolnshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location, d. Jun 1818, Spalding, , Lincolnshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location – Age: 0 years
9. Reckitt, Mary, b. 24 Sep 1818, Spalding, , Lincolnshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location, d. 15 Apr 1819, Spalding, , Lincolnshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location – Age: 0 years
10. Reckitt, Ellen, b. 29 Oct 1820, Spalding, , Lincolnshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location, d. Yes, date unknown
11. Reckitt, Lucy, b. 20 Jul 1822, Spalding, , Lincolnshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location, d. Yes, date unknown
12. Reckitt, Caroline, b. 3 Jul 1824, Spalding, , Lincolnshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location, d. Yes, date unknown
13. Reckitt, Walter, b. 19 Dec 1826, Spalding, , Lincolnshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location, d. Yes, date unknown
14. Reckitt, Albert, b. 1 Aug 1829, Spalding, , Lincolnshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location, d. Yes, date unknown
gardener

Postby MarkCDodd » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:13 pm

That would make Darracott Seymour a Grand Nephew of the Spinsters if George was the son of their brother William.

Seems like the partners dies very close together. George and his missus. William and his wife.

Probably wiped out by some disease contracted overseas?
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby gardener » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:39 pm

William was a doctor so I suppose he could have picked up anything.

Births Sep 1848
Reckett George Seymour Boston 14 266
RECKITT George Seymour Boston 14 266
gardener

Postby gardener » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:45 pm

Births Dec 1849

RECKITT Charlotte Gertrude Boston 14 245

Births Mar 1851
RECKITT William Burt Boston 14 287

Wonder what happened to them?
gardener

Postby gardener » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:45 pm

Certain now that George was a Reckitt.
His sister Gertrude Charlotte is executor for his estate after he and his wife died http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/ ... 1/page.pdf

So (last challenge for you Mark) where was Charlotte in 1861/71?
I can see that she was in Cumberland in 1891 and Hampshire in 1911. Knowing my luck she was at school or something equally unhelpful! But it would be nice if she had been adopted by the same uncle Seymourþ
gardener

Postby MarkCDodd » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:54 pm

You can see in 1911 that Gladys is with her..so George was 100% a Rekitts.

1911 census transcription details for: Lynchmere Heath Road Petersfield

National Archive Reference:

RG14PN6170 RG78PN290 RD106 SD1 ED1 SN115
Reg. District: Petersfield
Sub District: Petersfield
Parish: Petersfield
Enum. District: 1
Address: Lynchmere Heath Road Petersfield
County: Hampshire
Name Relation Condition/Yrs married Sex Age Birth Year Occupation Where Born
RECKILT, Charlote Gertrude Head Single F 61 1850 Private Means Boston Lincolnshire
SEYMOOR, Gladys Janna Niece Single F 27 1884 Private Means Richmond Surrey
MURIANS, Margaret Visitor Married F 41 1870 None Ealing London
MURIANS, Bernard John Visitor Single M 3 1908 Bournemouth Hants
ANDREWS, Elizabeth Servant Single F 21 1890 Cook Ayrshire
STONE, Annie Servant Single F 17 1894 Houseparlourmaid The Brooks Winchester Hants
MarkCDodd

Postby gardener » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:07 pm

Thanks Mark.

That Albert Reckitt is in a book which you might appreciate (it being Australian and all) http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=oXnp ... tt&f=false

Little Edith Mary had a gold mine named after her!
gardener

Postby MarkCDodd » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:07 pm

Can't see her on any passenger lists.

Last record I have found is in the London Voters List of 1919.

She died in 1921.
MarkCDodd

Postby MarkCDodd » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:23 pm

Good reading.

I see he wrote a letter to his cousin George in London.....

It amazes me how somebody born and bred in England can adapt so readily to the humidity and heat of Queensland.
MarkCDodd

Postby gardener » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:16 pm

MarkCDodd wrote:
It amazes me how somebody born and bred in England can adapt so readily to the humidity and heat of Queensland.

It must have been very hard, and for his wife too.

----------------------

I think we can call this done now. I just found a death announcement for George Seymour of Bray, Wicklow, in 1849, the father of Mrs William Reckitt of Boston. So I'm guessing that Anne Matilda (Seymour) Reckitt gave her maiden name as middle name to son George Reckitt, and George was then adopted by his uncle George Seymour who may have been Anne's brother.

Thanks again for all the help.
gardener

Previous

Return to Archived General Discussion